Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
TB weight

Hi Dr.Getty,

Hope all is going good for you.
You might remember me and my big underweight TB, well after we 'talked' last time, I started him on the senior feed that I found, the feed that had alfalfa, beet pulp, yeast etc.. we were on it for about 2 1/2 months and after a lot of money for this stuff he never put any weight on. I'm pretty stumped.
The complete feed I had was very pricey, so now I was just wondering if you can give me a thumbs up on this recipe that I have come up with:

Alfalfa pellets
Beet pulp
Ground flax
Black sunflower seeds
veg. oil

Does this sound like it will put weight on and be good for him, also will it be to many vits/mins with the flax and sun seeds?
He also gets grass hay free choice.
If you can recommend anything else I am very open to suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time.

All the best
Jenni

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: TB weight

Hi again,
just one more question, how much veg.oil can you safely feed to a horse in a day? Just out of curiosity.
I give mine 1/4c twice a day.

Thanks
Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Your feed recipe is excellent. The only thing I would add is a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in any gaps since you won't be feeding a complete ration.

About the oil... Choose Canola oil rather than vegetable oil (which is usually soybean oil). Canola oil is better because it is not as high in omega 6 fatty acids (too many cause inflammation).

You can safely feed up to 2 cups of oil each day, but you really won't need to feed that much. Go with 1/2 cup twice each day until you see some results.

I would also recommend Ration Plus to help him benefit from his roughage. It boosts the health of the bacterial flora, making digestion more efficient and weight gain more likely.

And finally, offer him grass hay and/or pasture 24/7.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty,

The oil I am feeding is canola oil, so that it good, also I had him on a product that was supposed to help his hindgut bacteria, but after 2 1/2 months on this it never helped him gain any weight.
He has access to really nice grass hay 24/7 also.

What kind of vit/mins will he be getting from the flax and sun seeds, and how much can I safely feed of these a day, he really needs to gain weight.
The flax I got is in bulk and it looks really oily, would this be the ground flax that only has the stablizer in it, with the full fat?

Thanks for any help,

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Ration Plus is likely very different than the probiotic you were giving him. It is not a probiotic, but rather a "prebiotic" because it does not contain live microbials. Instead, it feeds the existing bacteria, making all of them better able to digest forages. The result is weight gain.

About flax and sunflower seeds... they are good sources of protein, various trace levels of minerals, beta carotene, and omega 3 fatty acids (flax is higher). I don't know if your product is stabilized, but if it is on line, I'll be happy to look at the website for you.

You are doing the right thing by adding these fatty feeds. Stabilized rice bran is also an option.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Hi,
I was wondering if it ok to feed pelleted beet pulp dry,
in the posts I can't tell if you were refering to shreded or pellets, when you said it was ok to feed it dry.
Also how long will it take to start to notice results after starting to feed my new reciep above?

Thank you
Jenni

Hi Jenni,

I would suggest soaking the pelleted beet pulp. The shredded is ok to feed dry.

How long? It really depends on the horse and the health of the bacterial flora. Weight gain is slow, so get a baseline weight so you can keep track of small increments.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for your quick responce,
I know have a few more questions,
since I have been feeding the sun seeds and flax
seed it seems as though my guy has a lot of dead skin around his mane mostly,
could this just be from winter or could this be from getting better nutients and now all the old skin is coming off?
Also how much sun seeds can I safely feed a day?
I am also going to start him on garlic powder to get his immune sytem going better, and I cant get any product like Ration Plus here in Canada, so could I feed brewers yeast instead and if so how much would I give him?
Thank you so much for your time and patience

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

I would not recommend feeding garlic -- this can induce anemia in horses.

You know, I would very much like to set up a phone appointment with you to help you go over all aspects of your horse's needs. If you are agreeable, let me know. I would like to approach this from a holistic perspective by taking a look at his overall health, possible deficiences, history, and so on. That way, I can offer you specific amounts to feed, what to look for, and how to approach any problems.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty

Right now my budget won't really allow for a phone call,
I'm putting all my extra money in to feed right now.
My vet recomended putting him on sweet feed, but I'm not really into doing that, he is not being ridden right now , not until his weight goes up and his energy level is getting quite high and I think if I put him on sweet feed it will sky rocket, but on the other hand he really needs the weight.
We can't get rice bran or any of the good stuff you guys have over there so he is getting:
Grass hay 24/7
pasture ( not much,the grass is still short here)
Alfalfa pellets
ground flax
beet pulp
canola oil
wil this reciepe put weight on him?
I've heard that beet pulp won't put weight on it is just a filler basicaly.
Also I can't get any powder vit/min supplement so the feed store gave me a vit/min block will this be good enough?

Thanks
Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Your overall diet looks good. Beet Pulp will put on weight -- it has nearly as many calories as oats, without the negative aspects of grain.

You ought to be able to find a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement. I believe Vita-Flex has a Canada branch -- look for their Accel product.

Flaxseed meal is excellent and high in fat content. This, too, will help with weight gain.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty