Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glucose in Glucosomine?

Is the amount of glucose in glucosomine excessive? I currently feed my pony (currently a bit overwieght, but now starting back into work) a product that is 10,000 mg of glucosomine per scoop. Also contains 1000 mg of Molasses, which I guess is for flavouring? Should I switch to another product with less sugar? If so, any recommendations?

Where are you from? Canada

Re: Glucose in Glucosomine?

Hi Lisa,

Glucosamine does not contain glucose, per se, but is an amino derivative of glucose. It does, however, have the ability to raise insulin levels (though not dramatically). The molasses, however, will significantly raise insulin levels. So, it is best to choose a joint supplement that is not sweetened with molasses for an insulin resistant horse.

Since you are in Canada, I cannot make a specific recommendation, but you should look for a supplement that is in powdered form (these are generally not sweetened like the liquid versions).

Let me know what you find.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr Getty!

As always, your site is a great source of information.
I'll do some research on available products here.

One more question. The pony in question is turned out 24/7 with two horses. I'd like to restrict his hay intake a bit, but short of separating him, what are my other options. He is the least dominant, so the other two do keep him away a bit. I don't feed from a round bale, but put out hay each morning and evening.

I am considering a bar-style muzzle (also called a "free-to-eat" muzzle) to slow him down a bit - what do you think?.

Hi Lisa,

In all honesty, I do not like grazing muzzles. Actually, you defeat your purpose in using one because it causes stress for the horse. And, stress results in the release of the stress hormone, cortisol. When cortisol levels are elevated, it causes fat to be more readily stored, so you haven't accomplished your goal of weight loss!

And, it is best to allow your horses to graze 24/7, even the overweight one. Chewing is essential to stomach health. If they go hours without anything to chew on, they are very likely to develop ulcers since the stomach secretes acid constantly.

So, my suggestion is to allow grazing freely and increase exercise. And, if you are feeding any grain, discontinue that since it will also promote fat storage.

If you are interested, I would recommend Quiessence. This is a magenesium/chromium supplement that is very effective in helping horses lose weight because it reduces the insulin response (high insulin leads to fat gain).

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Thanks again for your advice, Dr Getty. I'm considering the Quiessence for this pony.

Could you confirm that it would also be good for my other horse - her issues are completely the opposite from the pony, but according to the product info, it seems like it would benefit her - she is a hard-keeper and very "hot" under saddle. I was thinking the Quiessence might help her. I've got her on Ration Plus and it's helping her weight issues tremendously. Or should I consider a B-complex supplement instead of or in addition to the Quiessence.

Hi Lisa,

She would likely benefit from additional magnesium to help with her attitude, so giving her a smaller amount of Quiessence (say one ounce per day) would be helpful. However, I would also recommend a B complex in addition to the magnesium, to cover all the possible borderline deficiencies that she hay have. Ration Plus will also help with her attitude because it results in the production of more B vitamins (by the bacterial flora).

So, I would suggest continuing with the Ration Plus and starting the Quiessence first. Then, if you don't see as dramatic a change as you were wanting, add the B complex to the mix.

All the best,

Dr. Getty