Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Buffalo grass

Hi there, please can you tell me about buffalo grass from a nutrition point of view?? ie. Protein content, Ca:Ph ratio and anything else. I have to add that my horse is flourishing at the moment - thanks to all your advice. Everyone told me that I'm crazed to feed so many supplements but she hasn't looked this great before. I've had her 7 months, her diarrhea has almost completely gone away, she is shiny (and I hardly ever groom her) and has put on so much weight I have to put her on a bit of a diet. This is my 15 year old barefoot, rugless, thoroughbred showjumper/novice dressage horse who lives out all year round. Thanks Dr. Getty!

Where are you from? SA

Re: Buffalo grass

Hi Christine,

Buffalo grass is very similar to bermuda grass hay with approximately 9 to 10 % crude protein, .4% calcium, .16 % phosphorus, and .16 % magnesium.

I am thrilled to hear how well your mare is doing! Thank you for letting me know. Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Arghh our paddocks must be flooded with phosphorous then. So far I have identified Kikuyu and buffalo grass :( Thank goodness I give my horse balanced grass hay. I have another guestion - I am in South Africa so its quite hot here in summer - up to 32 degrees celsius and winter is pretty cold. The new owners of the property where I keep my horse have appointed me as their stable manager and I would like to suggest they redo the grazing as it is just grazed down to the ground and not looking good at all. What grasses shall we plant in order to keep the balance correct? What sort of fertilizer shall we use? The soil is quite clayey but also sandy in some places. Thanks!

Where are you from? SA

Hi Christine,

The Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is very good in buffalo grass: .4 to .16 which is equivalent to 2.5:1 Ca:P, so I'm not certain why you think your pasture is high in phosphorus.

Regarding what to plant in your pasture, I don't know what grows locally. There are many grasses to choose from. Buffalo grass is fine, but frankly, most horses do not like it much. Bermuda, timothy, brome, orchard -- to name a few -- these are fine. And, if you could mix in some clover or alfalfa, that would be even better!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Oh sorry I misinterpreted that. Thanks! :D

Where are you from? SA

Hi Christine,

I expected that was the case. Glad to help!

Dr. Getty