Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creep feed

Hi Dr. Getty,
I hope all is well with you. I received the Mare/Foal II-P. It smells so good I want to eat it... don't worry, I'm fighting the urge !! Still no baby but it's only day 322. I was going to ask you about a creep feed. Is the Nutrena Youth going to be a good place to start? It is 16% protein, but I don't know if I should be concerned about carbohydrates at that age. I just want to give the baby the best start possible. Do you think Flax meal in a creep feed (in humid Texas) may spoil very easy?
These last days are going to drive me crazy !!
Thanks for your time and expertise!
Lynette

Where are you from? Austin Texas area

How did you locate this forum? Thersa Jones referred me

Re: Creep feed

Hi Lynette,

Yes, crazy you will definitely experience! But, it is such a good crazy!

You really do need to be concerned about carbohydrates for youngsters. Too much starch can contribute to problems with bone and joint development. So, I would suggest that you put some alfalfa pellets in a creep feeder when the foal gets to be a month old. He will try to eat some hay like his momma (which is so adorable to watch) but won't eat very much. And, flaxseed meal is great -- go with NutraFlax because it is stabilized for exposure to heat (it has a shelf life of 6 months).

And, once he does start nibbling some pellets, add the Mare/Foal IIP to his diet ( I say "he" as a generality -- are you hoping for a filly or a colt?)

Keep me posted! I'm excited for you!

Dr. Getty

Hey Dr. Getty,
Thanks for your advice, I'll be ordering some of the flax meal soon.
When I bred her I was hoping for a colt. Both the mare and the stallion are well bred Quarter horses and I'm planning on showing the baby. At this point though I'm just hoping for a healthy baby. I've always preferred mares to show (something about their attitude) even though geldings seem more even tempered. It won't be long and we'll find out !! Either way I know I'll be happy!
Thanks again, alfalfa pellets it is!
Lynette

Where are you from? Austin Texas area

How did you locate this forum? Thersa Jones referred me

Hi Lynette,

Think pink!

Dr. Getty