Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ELECTROLYTES AND ULCERS

DEAR DR. GETTY

I have a horse 8 yrs old 1100 lbs in light work.
I recently changed his feed to the Triple Crown Low-Starch because I wanted a beet-pulp based feed. He gets 3 lbs 2xper day and 3 to 4 flakes of hay (timothy mix and grass hay) Plus he is turned out 12-14 hours a day (PM). At the time I switched his feed, I had a person from KAM Animal services who was working with someone at my barn and after touching his stomach said he most likely has ulcers and he needed to be on a supplement called UF and also her probi product called KLPP. Twice in the past week he has acted like he doesn't feel well (laying down, pawing the ground - he is going to the bathroom and his manure seems normal)I never had any problems like colic or anything prior to this and am wondering what are the signs of ulcers, could this UF or KLPP be upsetting his stomach or should I reconsider the feed. What would you suggest?
Thanks
Patty

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: ELECTROLYTES AND ULCERS

I Forgot. I live in South Florida and she also said all horses should get electrolytes every day year round. What are your thoughts?
Thanks Again,
Patty

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: ELECTROLYTES AND ULCERS

Hi Patty,

Well, my first instinct is to take him off of the UF since his symptoms seem to have developed following the time you started this product. I took a look at it and it contains "oat powder" which is surprising because carbohydrates increase acid production, so why would one add this to a product that is supposed to be for ulcers?

You cannot tell by feeling a horse's belly if he has ulcers unless he is in so much pain that he is so sensitive to any contact. And, if his ulcer was that far along, believe me, you would know it.

Symptoms of an ulcer include an unthrifty appearance, poor appetite, weight loss, diarrhea, colic, uneasiness under saddle, poor attitude for no apparent reason, to name a few. You didn't mention any of these problems, so I would simply go back to the way you were feeding and take him off of this supplement.

If you suspect any digestive problems, one of the best things you can give a horse is Ration Plus to stabilize the bacterial flora in the hind gut. It is not a probiotic, but instead, feeds the existing bacteria so they can efficiently digest forages. But, wait and see how he does after you've stopped the UF product. If he still seems colicky, then consider giving him Ration Plus.

About the electrolytes.... All you need to provide is salt. You are already giving him a complete ration, which has added minerals. So, make sure you have a plain white salt lick available or you can offer coarse salt in a bucket free choice.

Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty