Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Proper Balance?

Dear Dr. Getty,
I currently feed my horse
3/4 lb beet pulp (2x day)
3/4 lb alfalfa cubes (2x day)
1 oz Accel
1 scoop Quiessence (2x day -planning on lowering to one scoop and then 1/2 as he has been on for 3 months now and looks well)
1/2 cup of Omega Horseshine flax-2x day (just ordered the flax you sell w/o all the added vitamins after reading your forum)
1/2 cup of BOSS 2x day
Focus HF 1 scoop day
1 scoop Myristol Joint Supplement 2x day -
(Guaranteed analysis for horse formulation only. Recommended Daily Dose is 2 scoops daily for an average horse and 2 1/2 - 3 scoops daily for a large horse.
Cetyl myristoleate 5000 mg
Glucosamine HCl 4500 mg
MSM 4500 mg
Hydrolyzed Collagen 3000 mg
DL-Methionine 1534 mg
Vitamin-C (from Ester C) 1000 mg
Manganese (Mn) 250 mg
Zinc (Zn) 250 mg
Copper (Cu) 50 mg )

And he eats approximately 15-20 lbs of Timothy/Alfalfa hay per day

Is this feeding regimen in proper balance?
Thank you very much for your time.

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: Proper Balance?

Hi April,

It looks fine -- though I am not familiar with "BOSS" -- please let me know what that is.

I assume that you are also providing hay and/or pasture 24/7, clean water at all times, and a plain salt lick?

The basic ingredients of this diet seem sound, though they may need fine-tuning depending on your horse's weight, age, condition, health issues, and exercise level. So, if he is doing well, stay with your plan and I'm pleased that you've switched to Nutra Flax, since it does not contain added grain (Omega Horseshine has added oats).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sorry Dr Getty.. BOSS = black oil sunflower seeds. Thank you.

And forgot to add, yes pasture/hay 24/7 with access to salt block and always fresh water.

Hi April,

Great job!

Dr. Getty