Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PREGNANCY

HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOUR MARE IS PREGNANT WITHOUT BLOOD OR URINE TEST?

Where are you from? ARIZONA

Re: PREGNANCY

Hi Kelli,

Well, it depends on how far along she is. During the last 3 months of pregnancy, she will show dramatic changes in her body size and condition.

Really, the best thing to do is have your vet come out and palpate her. He/she will place his arm inside her rectum and will be able to feel the presence of a fetus.

One of the best books you can read is The Complete Foaling Manual, which will help you with what to look for and how to best help your mare and the newborn foal.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty