Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lucerne feeds

Hi. I just wanted your input on Lucerne feeds. I have a 12 year old TB gelding. He stands about 17h and 1100 lbs. He is in excellent shape,shiny coat, but I can see his ribs. He is on ration plus for digestion, along with Purina ultium. Would it be a good idea to switch him to the forage feed, or keep him on ultium. He has way to much enery. Thank you very much :)

Re: Lucerne feeds

Hi Melanie,

Purina Ultium is a low starch feed, so you are doing the best thing by offering him this type of feed, rather than one that is high in grain (starch).

What I would suggest is that you double your dose of Ration Plus and also give him a B Complex vitamin preparation, such as B Plex in order to help feed and therefore, calm his nervous system.

You might also want to look into giving him Quiessence, a magnesium supplement, to see if that calms him, since many horses' diets are low in this important mineral.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Im going to start him on the Glanzen lite for his feet. There is b vitamins in that. Is that ok to give instead of b-plex?

Hi Melanie,

Glazen-Lite has B Plex added to it, so there is no need to get both. It is an excellent product --please let me know how you like it.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Melanie, I noticed your post and you said your horse has way to much energy and Dr. Getty recommended the Quiessence. Well, I to have a QH who was like a bull in a china cabinet, I started him on the Quiessence and it was so totally amazing the difference in him. He no longer drips sweat from being nervous while trailering, no longer jumpy. He is the calmest horse on the trails now. So, I do highly recommend it. Good Luck!

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? friend