Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
own mixture of feed

Hello!! I just had a ? I have a AQHA and TB. I just wanted to know what a good mixture of feeds would be, to keep both weight on, but enery levels down. My TB is very fit, but thin, plus very energetic. AQHA is fit also, but he has alot of energy. I just want a calm, focused horse. Ive looked into beet pulp, nutra flax, and alfalfa pellets as a good mixture, but Im afraid my TB wont like it. How could i give something like that a sweeter taste? Thanks :)

Re: own mixture of feed

Hi Kimberly,

The mixture of ingredients you have planned is excellent. Beet pulp generally comes sweetened, though the amount of sugar is quite low (less than 5%), so it will not be a problem for your horses and will make the meal more palatable.

You will also want to add a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement. Accel is excellent and is in an alfalfa base, which makes it quite tasty.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty