Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hay vs Alfalfa for club horses.

My situation is that we are in a club with 50-60 non breeding mature horses on pasture for winter. For the last 12 years since I was in the club during the winter we would throw alfalfa at a ration of 1/3 of a bale per horse in 2-3 300+ acre pastures with some dormant grass that we rotate in. Horses always done fine. Most come out of the winter fat. Planning for the next years feeding the arguement of grass vs alfalfa has reared it's ugly head. Most of the horses are not very active during the winter other than chasing each other around the pasture. A few are old that already need supplements. What would be your recomendation go with grass or stay with alfalfa. We are a fairly low budget club and would have to stay with the small style bales.

Where are you from? Denver Colorado

How did you locate this forum? surfin

Re: Hay vs Alfalfa for club horses.

Hi Chuck,

I am in favor of feeding alfalfa as part of the total forage intake. So, a diet that is mostly grass pasture and/or grass hay, along with 10 to 30% of added alfalfa, is an excellent mix. Alfalfa is a legume, and therefore, has additional amino acids to boost the overall protein quality of the diet.

So, my vote is to continue feeding it!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,

It's hard to say how much grass the horses are getting. Probably not the majority of grass. Front Range of Denver is pretty sparse for grass at times. The horses for the most part are comming off fat after the winter on a 1/3 of a bale of small 50-60lb bales. So I would think the grass has to be adding something. We did have three horses founder this winter thats the reason for the new interest in grass hay. Some blame the alfalfa. Others go different directions. The ones that did founder were getting grained often. One has strangles.

Opps the one horse had cushings not strangles.

Hi Chuck,

The founder was likely due to too much grain than the alfalfa. Since the grass is sparce, it is likely not a problem, however new spring grass that has been stressed may have more sugar in it than healthy pasture. So, horses that are prone to laminitis and the one that has cushings need to be restricted for all starch and sugar.

I would suggest that you feed a good quality grass hay, along with alfalfa, and remove all grain from the diet. A good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement would be worthwhile. For horses that have chronic founder and/or cushings, I recommend giving them a comprehensive supplement designed to help prevent future attacks, such as Laminex.

Laminitis can have several causes, but from what you describe, it was very likely due to too much grain or sweet feed. And, Cushings will also make a horse more likely to develop laminitis, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty