Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Another Ulcer Question (long, sorry!)

I have yet another ulcer question, please bear with me!

I adopted a 10 year old OTTB almost 6 weeks ago. She raced from 4-6, but that is really all I know about her past. As I am hearing from a lot of folks about TBs, she is a picky eater. She has gained weight in the last month that I have owned her, but I was wondering if she might have ulcers. (Yes, I know a vet is the only way to REALLY find out!)

She is a bit of a worry wart, won't eat if she's the only horse in the barn, wont drink if she's nervous either. She windsucks and also makes "burping" noises, but the burps do not always accompany the windsucking. Sometimes she just "burps" when she's not winsucking. It could also be a really loud gulping sound, I'm not sure. Her attitude is fine, and even when she's nervous, she listens well and behaves under saddle.

She stays out 24/7 with free choice bermuda hay and water (only comes in her stall to eat.) She gets fed Formax 12% sweet feed (2 scoops, don't know the weight,) one scoop dry beet pulp, one 'seving' of Equipride supplimets (that she doesn't like the taste of and will leave in the bowl 50% of the time,) and about 10 tums (don't laugh too hard) twice a day.

I have seen your info on ration plus and might give it a try instead of the Equipride since she doesn't like it.

But anyway, back to my question about ulcers! Does it sound like she might have ulcers? Do they ever really go away? (Sorry if I sound dense!)

Thanks so much for your time!
Kathy

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? a person on Horsecity Forums

Re: Another Ulcer Question (long, sorry!)

I forgot to say that she's out on pasture 24/7, but it's not a real good one.....still being established. But there are always at least 2 round bales out there for the horses to munch on. Some folks have told me round bales are evil because the horses will stand around them all day and colic. But our little herd doesn't do that, they are constantly moving.

Wasn't sure if your forum supports pics, but here are a few....
Her when I first got her:
Image hosting by Photobucket

And one month later:
Image hosting by Photobucket

This last pic is my most recent, and it's only 2 weeks old. My other horse is a Mustang and he always looks good, so this is new to me! Thanks again!

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? a person on Horsecity Forums

Re: Another Ulcer Question (long, sorry!)

Hi Kathy,

From what you describe and based on her history, she may very well have an ulcer. So, let's assume she does and treat her accordingly since the treatment is nutritionally related and does not involve the use of drugs.

First, I would stop feeding a sweet, grain-based feed. High starch and sugar in the diet actually causes more acid production and will make it impossible for her to heal. So, go with a low starch feed such as Blue Seal Trotter or Triple Crown Low Starch or Safe Starch.

Then, two more things will be very helpful. One is Ration Plus to boost the health of her bacterial flora. And, the second is B Plex -- this will help her digestive system heal (since it requires B vitamins) and will also calm her nervous system. You will likely start to see a dramatic decline in the amount of wind sucking that she does.

Giving her hay 24/7 is the best thing for her -- just make certain that the round bale is clean and free of dust and mold. Moldy hay can cause colic. But, she definitely needs to be able to nibble on grass and/or hay at all times to keep her saliva flowing. Saliva neutralizes stomach acid. Horses' stomachs produce acid all the time, which is why they are designed to be trickle feeders -- a little all day long.

So, this is a start. Try this for a couple of months and let me know how she's doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Thanks for the pictures -- she is a lovely gal!!