Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding yearling miniature stallion

So glad to find you here, Dr. Getty. I have 2 minis..a 7 year old gelding that seems to be doing well on 1# beet pulp, 1 1/2# bermuda and 1# alfalfa plus multi vitamins a day, divided into 3 meals. He weighs about 275-300#. Sound all right?

My question is about a yearling stallion I am conditioning for show (halter classes). In addition to the above feed, I give him 3# of Strategy GX. But I am not sure if this is the right quantity for him to keep his weight even and his coat in good condition. He weigh's about 250#. Does he need additional vitamins?

The two horses are on nearly bare pasture 12 hours a day and always have free access to water. They're also fed at ground level.

Thank you for your help! I've been told so many different things to feed that I'm pretty confused as to what to give this lovely young horse.

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Google search on horse nutrition

Re: Feeding yearling miniature stallion

Hi Pam,

Strategy is not one of my favorites, to be frank. Minis hold their weight very well and are best fed a diet that is low in starch. Instead of Strategy for your stallion, how about feeding him the same diet as your gelding and just add some flaxseed meal for his additional energy needs? This will be far more nutritious and will not produce elevated insulin levels, from so much starch. Nutra Flax is the flaxseed meal I like best.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty