Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
low thyroid, overweight, cresty neck & spooky

Hi! My daughters have a 16 yr.old Arab. Low thyroid,overweight,cresty neck,spooky and irritable. Slow to warm-up. Wants to take off while riding, gets back under control then fine. Trainer (doing dressage) said other day that it kinda feels like his muscle get stiff & spasm, after it he goes well. His feed is:

2 flakes bermuda grass a.m.
1 scoop thyro-L a day
Daily wormer (1000 1b)
1 scoop platinum performance equine wellness
1 1/2 scoop bermuda blend pellets (lunch)
2 flakes bermuda grass p.m.
was getting lots of carrots, apples and sugar cubes, cut that out last week.
If I increase the platinum he just gets hotter and spooky. Thought he might not be getting enough magnesium in his diet. I just ordered the quiessence, what else can I do for him as far as supplements for vit/minerals and some sort of fat and should I cut out the platinum?

So confused about what to feed him.

Thank you,
Julie Kanters

Where are you from? Phoenix, Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Did a mineral deficiency search

Re: low thyroid, overweight, cresty neck & spooky

Hi Julie,

Yes, I was going to recommend Quiessence, and I'm pleased that you decided to try that. I believe it will make a difference.

Platinum Performance is a flaxseed meal based supplement. It is excellent, but your horse may be sensitive to too much flaxseed meal. It's not common, but in cases where there is great sensitivity to changes in insulin levels, flaxseed meal may the problem. So, I would suggest that you consider a supplement that is alfalfa based, such as Accel.

So, here are the steps I would suggest. First, start with three scoops of Quiessence per day and see how that works. If the Platinum Performance is still causing a problem even though you're supplementing Quiessence, change to Accel. And, if you still find that additional calming is necessary, give him additional B vitamins -- such as B Plex.

But, I'm thinking that you'll find that Quiessence is going to do the trick. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty