Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ITCHING

DEAR DR. GETTY,

THERE ARE TWO HORSES AT THE BARN WHERE I BOARD MY HORSE THAT ARE ALWAYS RUBBING THEIR TAIL AND MANE. THE OWNER IS INTO ONLY NATURAL REMEDIES AND THE POOR HORSES HAVE BEEN ITCHING FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE CONTAGIOUS AS NONE OF THE OTHER HORSES HAVE IT, BUT IT DOES WORRY ME THAT MY HORSE MIGHT GET IT. I ASKED THE OWNER IF SHE HAD THOUGHT OF HAVING THE VET CHECK IT, BUT SHE DOESN'T WANT THEM TO HAVE ANY CORTISONE SHOTS OR ANYTHING. THESE HORSES DO GET THE NUTRA-FLAX BUT ARE STILL RUBBING ALOT. I FEEL BAD FOR THE HORSES BUT THE OWNER JUST KEEPS USING TOPICAL
ANTI-ITCH CREMES. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. ALSO, SOMEONE HAD MENTIONED THAT MAYBE THEY HAVE WORMS. THE ENTIRE BARN IS ON A WORMING PROGRAM AND THESE HORSES LOOK HEALTHY OVERALL.

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS.
MARY

Where are you from? GEORGIA

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: ITCHING

Hi Mary,

It's really difficult to say what may be causing the itching without more detailed info. It could be a fungus, an allergy, a bacterial infection, or if they are mares, it could be due to poor hygiene in keeping their udders clean.

So, as long as your horses are not exhibiting any signs, it likely is not contagious. The best thing you can do is keep your horses clean and healthy. Often times, if a horse has a healthy immune system, he can fight off any contagions. So, check your horses' diet and provide a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement, if necessary, to fill in any gaps.

All the best,

Dr. Getty