Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Recommended Feeding of a 2 year Fjord/Belgium Cross

Dr Getty:

We just bought a 2 year gelded Fjord/Brabant Belgium Cross and would appreciate your recommendations on feeding.

He will be a pleasure horse for us. As such, he will be able to get fat very quickly if overfed.

The hay in our area is quite poor. This guy is about 15 hands and 1200 lbs today. What should we fed him, how much and how often?

Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Harry

Where are you from? Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Recommended Feeding of a 2 year Fjord/Belgium Cross

Hello Harry,

In general, I would suggest a forage-based diet that consists of plenty of pasture and/or grass hay, along with some alfalfa to improve the protein quality.

I would also give him a good vitamin/mineral supplement that has vitamin E and selenium to balance out his diet (your part of the world is typically low in selenium).

Since he is not being exercised heavily, he will not require any additional energy source. So, you can simply add the vitamin supplement to some alfalfa pellets or a handful of a low starch feed.

To give you more details in terms of amounts and your horse's specific needs, I would be delighted to assist you via a phone visit, since I would require more information.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Recommended Feeding of a 2 year Fjord/Belgium Cross

Thanks again....your advice is appreciated and welcomed. Harry

Where are you from? Newfoundland, Canada