Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BOSS?? (and other questions)

Hi Dr. Getty,

I have been reading a lot on your forum and it is incredibly helpful!!

I haven't seen anything about your opinion of BOSS in a horses diet. I believe these do have the Omega 6 fats in them. Do you recommend them?

Also, I could really benefit from a consultation, but will have to save up first. In the meantime, do you think his diet is balanced? He is a TB who is coming out of winter very ribby and needs to put on some weight. His teeth/and overall health have checked out fine by the vet this month...

My horse is currently getting the following:

AM:
2 cups mixture of 50% crimped oats/50% crimped barley
1 1/2 cup BOSS
1/4 cup nutra-flax (1 oz) I just started this and will up the amount as he gets used to it.
1 cup Poulin hay stretcher pellets
Dyna-Pro (a probiotic by dynamite)

Total food just over 2 qts.

PM:

Same as above without the dyna-pro
added vitamin supplement (dynamite brand)
also 3 qts of soaked timothy/alfalfa hay cubes

The grass is starting to come up now, so he will be on grass pasture for about 14 hrs and he also gets 3 large flakes of timothy mix hay to munch on at night.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Amy

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: BOSS?? (and other questions)

Hi Amy,

Thanks for writing! BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are high in omega 6 -- linoleic acid. I prefer flaxseed meal, which is high in omega 3s. So, it would be better to decrease the BOSS and instead, add more flax.

I don't see how you're deriving 2 quarts in the morning meal -- it doesn't add up -- that would be 8 cups (which is too large).

There are two things I would suggest. First, give him a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. Accel is worth considering. And second, he would definitely benefit from Ration Plus to help him gain weight.

Check his teeth and also consider treating him for encysted larvae by worming him with a double dose of fendbendazole for 5 days (take a look at Panacur PowerPac).

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you for your reply!

I meant to write that he gets 1 qt of Poulin hay stretcher with each meal,
not 1 cup :) . Sorry!

o.k., so do you think it would be better if I eliminated the oats/barley and
replaced this with all hay stretchers instead?

A few more questions:
I am giving him a vitamin/mineral supplement by Dynamite? Do you think this
is a good one, or do you prefer Accel?

Do you recommend Ration Plus in addition to the probiotic or instead of? I
don't want to overload him :)

Also, I am curious why you think he would benefit from additional wormer? I
didn't mention it, but he is getting daily wormer with twice yearly paste.
Do you think this is sufficient? The vet was just out this month and did
check his teeth and his overall appearance. He teeth were fine, but she did
mention that he looked on the thin side, but healthy. Is there any
additional tests you think are warranted?

Last question: If I reduce/eliminate the BOSS, how much flax seed can I
give him safely per day? Can I add Canola oil to the mix?

Thanks again!!

Amy

Hi Amy,

Oh -- thanks for the clarification. Yes, it would be better to eliminated the oats and barley and give him the hay stretcher instead. But to help him gain weight, you'll find Ration Plus very helpful (you would not need to add the additional probiotic). And, you can very safely feed 1 lb of flaxseed meal each day. Take a look at Nutra Flax. You can add canola oil, but you likely will not need to.

About the multiple -- I seem to recall that Dynamite is a decent product (I did not find the ingredients on line). You can compare the ingredient list with the one I have on line for Accel. Accel also contains important amino acids, which are helpful in improving the protein quality in his diet.

A daily wormer, with a paste worming twice each year of ivermectin (in the fall) and ivermectin/praziquantel (for tapeworms)in the spring, is a good regimen. However, encysted larvae are not controlled by this, so that is why I recommended the 5 day treatment of fenbendazole at a double dose. Weight loss is a common sign of infestation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi,

Me again!

I am going to switch my boy to Purina Ultium as an alternative to the oats/barley mix I have been giving him.

I am also going to order some nutra-flax and ration plus to add to the mix too.

My question for you is, how much should he be getting. The recommended amount on the bag for my boy's weight is 6.8 lbs per day (currently he is 1000 lbs, but I would like to see him gain about 100 more). Is this too much? If I don't give him this amount, do I need to continue his vitamin supplement?

Should I also keep any of the hay stretcher pellets or hay cubes in his diet? He is out on pasture all day and gets as much hay as he will eat at night.

Thanks SO much! This site is an incredible resource!!!

Amy

Hi Amy,

If you are feeding the Ultium according to the directions, you shouldn't need an additional vitamin/mineral supplement, except he may benefit from some extra Vitamin E (depending on his activity level) -- most feeds do not provide enough for working horses.

And, since he is on pasture and hay all day, there is no need for a hay stretcher.

The amount to feed is fine but since you want him to gain a few pounds, I would still suggest adding the Nutra Flax and Ration Plus, since this will allow him to get the extra weight on without overloading his stomach capacity.

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

I will do just that :) It seems a ton easier than the other feeding plan with him!

I will give him the Ultium at the recommended amount plus ration plus and Nutra-flax.

Thank you for the quick response

~Amy

Where are you from? Mass

How did you locate this forum? Internet search