Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
alfalfa and hard hooves

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you for replying to my earier posting (balance diet for new horse). I am more than willing to set up a phone consultation with you in a few weeks. I tried emailing you at dr.getty@equinenutrition.biz but it didn't go through for some reason, that is why I'm posting this. Here is a question for you:

My horse's previous owners use to feed straight alfalfa hay in the past but they don't anymore because they said it made their horses hooves too hard. I feel really silly asking this but is there any truth to that and aren't hard hooves a good thing?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer this. I look forward to talking to you in person and figuring out a good diet for my horse. Have a wonderful day:)

Shana

Where are you from? Pinon Hills California

How did you locate this forum? websurfing

Re: alfalfa and hard hooves

Dr. Getty-

I just noticed I had your email address wrong-sorry!!

Shana

Hi Shana,

Yes -- here is my email address you your reference and for others: DrGetty@gettyequinenutrition.biz

About the alfalfa-hoof connection.... No truth to that at all. Now, having said that, the key to healthy hooves is a balanced diet. Alfalfa is a great hay, but I prefer to combine it with a grass hay so that the amino acid profile is more balanced, and hence, the quality of the protein is better. So, the goal is to feed both grass and legume hays or pasture, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in any gaps.

I wrote to you personally regarding your interest in setting up a phone visit appointment.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty-

Thank you for replying to my post. I look forward to talking to you in person. I am in the process of gathering history on my horse (any past health issues, feeding, ect.)from his previous owner and also figuring out his approximate weight. They were his only owners since they raised him from birth so this should be pretty easy. I also saved your questionaire and will be filling it out soon.

Thank you! Shana

Hi Shana,

Sounds fine. I'll look forward to it!

Dr. Getty

Hey Shana,
If I may put in a note about hooves. The ideal hoof is tough, but not to hard to work with trimming tools. You want some pliability because that is how hooves absorb shock. Hooves that are to hard will crack. But hooves that are to soft will fall apart.

The determinig factor in how hard hoofs are (assuming diet is good) is the environment the horse lives in. A horse in very wet soil will have very soft hooves because they absorb the moisture. A horse in hot dry environments will have very hard hooves.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? google