Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
tennessee walking horse

we just bought a horse that was stabled only eating hay and feed, no pasture. we have the horse in the pasture. is there a limit to grass the horse should be eating. we were told to much at a time would hurt the horse. is this true and if so how long should we let the horse eat?

Where are you from? virginia

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: tennessee walking horse

Hi Don,

Congratulations on your new horse! The issue of grazing really depends upon the health of the horse. If you horse is young (uner 14 years old), is not overweight, and has never experienced laminitis, he can very likely be allowed to graze 24/7. This is the best way to maintain a horse's health for the majority of horses.

So, if possible, I would recommend that you allow him to graze freely for a few hours each day, and increase it gradually, so that by the end of a week's time, he is out 24/7.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty