Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina Seminar

Hi dr. Getty,

I attended a seminar put on by Purina last night. They have a new product called Natures Essentials (Born to Win) Suppliment. They say it is for overweight horses that are basically yard ornaments or being used for light work. It contains 32% protein, and supposedly all the vitamins and minerals that a pastured horse needs. They recommend that you feed 1 pound per day. They won't say what is in it.

I'm asking about it because I would like to stop mixing so many ingredients for my horses feed (beet pulp, flax seed, vitamins, alfalfa, etc.). It would be nice just to scoop up a half pound and feed it. I know I'm trying to be lazy, but would this product work?
Thanks for your great website,
Kim

Where are you from? Clover, SC

How did you locate this forum? Googled "horse nutrition"

Re: Purina Seminar

Hi Kim,

On the surface, it seems that the "Born to Win" product is a good one. They claim that it is low in starch and sugar, which is also good. But, as you said, they won't give you the exact ingredients, which makes it difficult to truly evaluate.

So, here's what I'd suggest... if your horse is healthy and not overweight, you can very likely use this product. But, please understand that I cannot be more specific, since they are not more specific.

Keep me posted on how it works out.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Purina Seminar

Thank you Dr. Getty. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it or not. My horses are doing well on what they are on, but my laziness gets the best of me sometimes!

Kim

Where are you from? Clover, SC

How did you locate this forum? Googled "horse nutrition"