Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hot horses

Hey Dr. Getty,
I would like to relay an interesting experience. While putting fresh shoes on a normally calm and respectful horse, he, as Mike and I call it, Exploded. He then did the same thing six weeks later. We spoke with the owner and learned that his diet consisted of the following.

Pure alfalfa hay
Calf manna
grain based sweet feed

I can only imagine the blood sugar swings the poor thing was going through. No wonder he was woung tighter than a coiled spring. We spent the next half hour explaining that calf Manna is for cows only, and how sweet feed affects blood sugar. It just goes to show how much effect nutrition has on the horses entire well being. He could not be trimmed or shod.

I gave her a card, (I have a stack ) but I don't know if she ever contacted you. Oh well, I tried.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: hot horses

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your great detective work! You are absolutely right! Perhaps she will take a second look at her feeding regimen and make some much-needed changes for her horse's sake (as well as for the safety of those working with her horse).

Best regards,

Dr. Getty