Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wheat Bran

Hi Dr. Getty ~ I just saw on another post about the wheat bran being high in phosphorus which I knew it was in large amounts, but Whiskey gets a small handful every morning in his grain. I do it cause I was told it will help them from colicking which he did 2 yrs ago and we almost lost him, so will the small amount everyday be to much or should I stop it completely? Thanks so much.a6yb

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: Wheat Bran

Hi Vicky,

Giving it daily is good, but I really don't know how much calcium he is getting. Are you giving him alfalfa? Please refresh my memory.

Thanks,

Dr. Getty

Hello and thanks for the reply. No, I do not give Whiskey Alpalfa. He get's blue orchard hay and 4-5 hr's daily of pasture besides his triple crown lite and his b-plex. Isn't Alphala (sp) hard on senior horses kidney's? He just turned 25 on the 5th. Oh and since being on the b-plex he is up to 3 hr's now trail riding!! I just can't thank you enough!

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? friend

Hi Vicky,

Yes, older horses can tolerate some alfalfa, unless they have kidney problems. But, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that you start giving him any. If at some point you'd like some assistance with analyzing his mineral intake, just let me know.

I am so pleased that he's doing so well!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty