Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Salt blocks

Dr. Getty,
Can you tell me about salt blocks and what is there meaning? I have given my horses each a block in the past.3 don't like it and 2 think it's one per day. What I mean is,as soon as I put in there stall,it's gone the next day.What are they good for?

Re: Salt blocks

I'm sure you'll get a good answer from Dr. getty. But as an aside, here in AZ in the winter, we give our minis a tsp. of salt in their feed each night because they tend to not drink much water when it's cold, which is not good for them. In addition, there are salt blocks avialable for them whenever they desire a lick. Now that it's anythink but cold, salt blocks are available for them at all times.

One of the minis will chew on a block now and then and the other just licks it.

Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Search

I also live in arizona.and my horses get there tanks filled twice aday,winter,fall summer,etc,etc.that's why I don't have automatic waterers.so I can see there intake.

Hi Gladys and Pam,

Plain, white salt blocks are a good idea to have available. Most horses will not chew on those, but they do often chew on the mineral blocks, and especially the sweetened blocks, so I do not recommend those.

But, the best approach is to offer plain, white salt, free choice. Set up a stationary bucket with coarse salt (Kosher salt works well -- that you buy in the grocery store). Horses will dab their tongue on it when they want salt, but won't lick and lick.

Adding salt to the diet is also fine, but it's difficult to assess if you're giving too much or too little. Unlike most minerals, horses do have the natural ability to know if their blood is in need of sodium, so they are likely to self regulate their intake if offered salt free choice.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

What a great idea, Dr. Getty. I much prefer my horses regulate themselves with the salt. They're pretty smart, so I'll change over to the table salt (coarse). Thanks for the hint.

I'm another one who doesn't use automatic waterers for the very reason I want to know how much they're drinking and that it's clean and fresh.

Pam

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Hi Pam,

Glad to help. Yes, fresh water is very important. When horses drink after eating, they usually rinse out their mouths and put a lot of saliva back into the water. They often will not drink it after this, so it's necessary to have a fresh supply of water available that they are willing to drink.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty