Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding

I have a 15 year old standardbred mare who has metabolic syndrome. I am feeding her grass hay,about 15 lbs a day, 2 lbs. of Triple crown lite 15.7% nsc and 1 cup of flaxseed and also magnesium. Is this a good diet for metabolic syndrome. She could still use to lose a little weight, she weights about 1000 lbs and is 15 hands. I ride her 4 or 5 times a week for 1-3 hours at a time. I also have a yearling paint filly who is getting all the grass hay that she wants 6 lbs. of Triple Crown low starch and 1 cup of flaxseed a day. I would appreciate any feeding suggestions on both horses. Thanks

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? by chance

Re: feeding

Hi Alice,

Since you are feeding just 2 lbs of the Triple Crown Lite, you ought to consider filling in the gaps by giving your older horse a vitamin/mineral supplement. I recommend Accel as a comprehensive supplement that is easy on the budget and high in quality.

To help her lose weight, you mentioned that you are giving her magnesium. She should also have chromium with it and it should be a form of magnesium that is highly bioavailable. If you're not already giving her Quiessence, please take a look at this. It will help her insulin response, thereby allowing her to lose fat.

For your yearling, you are doing fine. Her lysine needs, however, are higher than what you are providing, since she is growing. I would recommend adding Lysine to the diet until she reaches 4 years old.

Thank you so much for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: feeding

Dr. Getty,

Thank you for your help. I will add the Lysine to my filly's diet. I will also add accel and chromium to my mare's diet. Thanks again
Alice

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? by chance