Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Grand Complete and Help with calming my 14 year old TB Mare

Hello and THANK YOU. I have been trying to get an answer regarding my beautiful TB mare (age 14) for quite a while now. Our vet, who I really like but is not into supplements unless there is a problem has not recommended much in thess areas. I have my mare on Source right now, which helped a lot with her dry cracking hooves, but she has had some wear and tear on her joints through her previous 2 owners. (One racd her, the other jumped her 4 plus ft). She is currently mildly lame...does not appear to be a hoof issue, probably a fall in mud in her large pasture with other privately owned horses. They are a pretty rowdy group and she is the lead mare. After researching supplements to death, I want an experienced aopinion on 2 things. First, in general is Grand Complete a good overall supplemnt, regarding joints, hooves, digestive/colic, etc. In one article I read Grand Complete also may have some calming effect. That brings me to my second question. I really believe she needs a calming agent. She is very high strung (One of the things I love about her), but still when riding her on trails, and she is quivering in fear over a dog or ATV, my heart really breaks for her. She loves to get out there and gallop...however when she gets afraid, no matter what I do to calm her, talking softly, reassuring her...I end up having to use the bit in far more of a normal manner than I ever do. (this horse is compeltely verbal command trained, but that all goes out the window when she sees a dog, etc.) Normally I ride her VERY loose rein...no bit use much at all, leg commands or words) I however want to stress I do not want her DRUGGED...just a bit calmer so she can handle these situations with more ease. I know I am making her sound like a nut...but she really is the most lovely mare I have ever owned...just has that shall we call it 'high strung TB' personality. An FYI, she is the great grandaughter of Native Dancer, and truly a lovely gentle mare, with me, people she trusts and in her stall, it is just that no matter how much expose she has had to dogs and ATV's she just can not relax. I want riding to be a joy for her, as it is for me. When I bought her she was close to the auction...as she kept throwing people when she got afraid and bolted.
If you can be of any help to me and her most importantly, I will be forever greatful.
Thanks you so much, I pray I hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Joan F. Golden

Where are you from? Worcester, MA.

How did you locate this forum? www.ask.com

Re: Grand Complete and Help with calming my 14 year old TB Mare

Hey Joan,
Sounds like you have a sweet mare. I have a horse who has that kind of get up and go personality, and I found, in general, after his nutrition improved, so did his attitude. Along with his coat, hooves, flexibility, and just about everything else. So, When Dr. Getty posts, she can check to see if I'm right, but I'm gonna tell you what I think she'll recomend.
Grand complete is a good product, I had my horse on it for awhile. It is flaxseed based, so it supplis a wealth of Omega three fatty acids. However, if you want to get a bit more comprehensive vitamin wise, look at Accel. If you are seriously concerned about her joints, look at actiflex 4000. Grand complete only has glucosamine in it, whereas actifles has MSM and Chondrotin, along with many other joint enhancing ingredients.
As for calming her down, try B-plex. B vitamins have a calming effect on nervous horses, and if her digestive system is not up to snuff the bacteria in her hind gut may not be producing enough for her. For those times when she needs instant calming, try Modifer HQ. I have not had a chance to try this myself, but Dr Getty says it works wonderfully. (And You can always trust her Jut use it prior to leaving on your trail rides. Hope this helps! But don't change anything until Dr Getty verifies everything.
-Jamie Haley

Hello Joan,

Thank you for writing about your mare. She sounds lovely -- very much like a TB that I used to have.

You asked about Grand Complete. This is a fine product, but does not have enough of the B vitamins that I believe your mare needs. The B vitamins are directly related to keeping the nervous system healthy, and for most horses, this involves a natural calming effect.

There is a product that I know you will like because it has a B Complex preparation, is flaxseed meal based (for omega 3 fatty acids), and also protects the joints and hooves. It's called Reitsport. It is very complete, with additional vitamins and minerals, so you would not need to concern yourself with additional supplementation.

Jamie mentioned Modipher EQ Mist. This is something you may want to consider during particularly stressful times. It is a pheromone -- a scent that horses never outgrow of their nursing months as a foal -- that calms them. It is not a drug and it is not magic. But, it definitely does take the edge off.

Nevertheless, I would first suggest that you try the Reitsport and see how that goes, before trying Modipher EQ mist.

You didn't mention what you are feeding, so if you are feeding grain (oats, corn, barley, etc.), you may want to consider eliminating so much starch from her diet. Starch produces blood glucose peaks with a corresponding surge of insulin. This then leads to the blood sugar levels dropping. These highs and lows can often create mood swings and an edgy personality in many horses.

I hope you find this helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty & Jamie,

Thank you both so much. I am going to go with the Reitsport, and attempt to slowly decrease her grain (like many horses she lives for her grain...lol, however if it needs to go, it will.)
Dr. Getty you are a fabulous person, if you only knew how long I had been searching for answers regarding this wonderful mare. Old school people keep telling me it is bad manners, too high strung, hit her, etc., and I know fear verse bad behavior, I have been riding for over 40 years.
Incase you can not tell, this mare means the world to me, and again THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH!
Sincerely,
Joan

Hi Joan,

I'm delighted to help. Yes, I empathize completely with your feelings for your mare and agree that force and fear tactics are used all too often. It's a shame. Your mare is very lucky to have you as her horse mom!

Dr. Getty

Hi i had exactely the same problem my mare was wired to the moon although she was great out hunting when i wanted to hack her she was terrible it got as though it was a argument every time,like you old school said you want to put some manners on her,which when you know your horse it wasn't out of bad manners it was out of pure excitment but then Dr.Getty helped me and now with taking the advice (B complex) that was given it's like riding a different horse,she will always be forward going which i like but now she's safe good luck,Dr Getty is every horse lovers saviour

Where are you from? Derbyshire,England

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Joanne, Thank you so much for the encouraging words. My mare is very high strung, but like you, that is part of what I love about her. I am thrilled to hear that Dr. Getty has helped with your mare, and wish you only the best with her. My mare is my world, and no matter what 'old school trainers say', there is a clear difference between true fear and bad manners. Thanks so much, and yes Dr. Getty is wonderful!
Sincerely, Joan

Hi joan it is good to hear how much you think of this mare i am the very same, i stuck with her even though some days she had me in tears with frustration but i love her and i took on what Dr Getty told me and now she thinks for me and me for her, you will get there with her because you love her she's lucky all the best keep us posted.

Where are you from? Derbyshire,England

How did you locate this forum? search engine