Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hay question -- a change

Hi Dr Getty ~
My yearlings are thriving thanks to your suggestions.

I have been feeding them timothy/alfalfa hay all along (free choice) but the newest hay I have been getting is more mixed grass hay (2nd cutting) and no alfalfa.

I'm just wondering if that's ok for them nutritionally or would they need anything else ?

They are on low starch Blue Seal Trotter (less than pkg recommends, but enough to keep their weight and body scoring at the optimum level).
They are also on Accel and Nutra-Flax per your suggestion.

Please tell me your thoughts.
Thank you.

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? horse list

Re: Hay question -- a change

Hi MJ,

So good to hear from you and I'm delighted to hear how well your babies are doing!

Would it be possible for you to get plain alfalfa hay and add a flake to their diet each day? The reason I say this is because they need the extra calcium. They also need to extra lysine that alfalfa provides.

If this is not feasible, you could give them some alfalfa pellets added to their meal (keep their meal size to no more than 3 lbs).

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty