Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Diet and Supplements for Yearling Wobbler

My 12 month old Arabian filly was diagnosed yesterday as a probable wobbler; without a myelogram, we can't be sure, but two veterinarians concur on the diagnosis based on radiographs and clinical signs. Surgery is not really an option for me right now due to finances, so I am investigating nutritional management, as I understand that it can help young wobblers under the age of 18 months.

Growing up, she was on pasture most of the time with 1-3 lbs (as she grew) a day of 14% grain mix with good quality alfalfa/grass hay in the stall. My trainer has her on a medium quality grass/timothy mix 3x day plus about 2 lbs (total daily) of a 10% grain with a high protein supplement mixed in, also 3x a day, unsure of amount. Because of the diagnosis, we took her out of training, put her on stall rest, and we restricted her diet to slow her growth. She is now getting 2 flakes of the medium quality hay a day (over 3-4 feedings), and a handful of grain 3x a day to shut her up when the other horses eat and for her daily dewormer. I would like to cut the grain entirely, but it's not really an option until I move this horse back home to my barn. This sorta fits, in my mind, the restricted diet she should have, but we can't find a supplement that we like for the Ca/P and other minerals she needs. The vets weren't really clear either on which one. Ideas? Suggestions?

I am puzzled a bit as to why she might have developed this syndrome. She's never been very fat, and I was very careful to not overfeed grains. The only thing I can think of is that her Ca/P ratio must have not been correct, or she was deficient in Zn or Cu. One veterinarian says it could be genetic, one disagrees. The literature is also split, so I'm not sure.

Thanks so much!!

Where are you from? USA

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: Diet and Supplements for Yearling Wobbler

Hello Susan,

I can see you've done your homework. The compression of the spinal cord, as you know, causes the characteristic "wobble." The general consensus is that it is genetically related, however, it can be treated non-surgically.

As soon as you are able, I would stop feeding starchy feeds that are grain-based. Perhaps you can switch to a low starch feed such as Triple Crown Low Starch, or Blue Seal Trotter.

But, you will definitely need to add a supplement, actually two different ones. The first one would be Mare/Foal IIP since this is balanced for the mineral needs of a growing horse. But, additional vitamin E is very important. That's why you'll also want to get a plain vitamin E supplement -- I recommend E5000 -- that does not contain added selenium.

I understand why you are restricting feed intake, but this may backfire on you because of the nutritional needs. I would suggest that you give her enough hay to allow her to "graze" throughout the day. You can try placing it in a hay bag to slow down her eating. And, again, perhaps your barn manager would be willing to give her a low starch feed, instead of the grain-based one that you are currently feeding.

I hope this is helpful. This situation is complex, but manageable. If you find that a private consultation would be more helpful, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

OK, thank you much. That's exactly what we needed to know -- which supplements to try.

My trainer is already complaining she's losing a lot of weight, so we will try putting her hay in a net -- or even double netting -- to try to slow her down. We both hate to "starve" a horse, but if it will save her life and return her to some function, we can deal with it. I will have her increase the hay a bit too. And I'll discuss changing the grain, but that may not happen for another 3 weeks until I bring this horse home.

We are talking to a genetics expert as well; this filly was extremely valuable and out of a top-quality mare. I hate to lose this mare from my program but I do not wish to ever have another wobbler -- it's heartbreaking. There is debate apparently over whether or not it is genetic in that the neck bones are abnormal, or if it is due to the genetics of that horse for size and growth potential.

I will let you know if I need any further assistance.
Thanks so much!!

Where are you from? USA

Hi Susan,

Glad to help. Please do keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Little update. . . .

Horse started developing some new symptoms, including an intention tremor. This indicated the lesion was much higher than originally suspected.

Hauled the filly to the veterinary school, where she was diagnosed with cerebellar abiotrophy, a definite genetic disease.

I had NO idea that it was in these bloodlines. I am crushed. This diagnosis is much much worse than being a wobbler -- there is no cure. Basically, I am monitoring the horse and when she becomes a danger to herself or people around her, I will put her down.

She's at home now, being the spoiled princess. I am trying to transition her out to a small, safe field with another horse so she can enjoy her last days out on pasture.

If ANYONE out there at all has ever dealt with CA, I would love to hear your experience. It's awful watching this beautiful filly deteriorate because of a mistake I made because I didn't have all the information I needed before breeding.

Where are you from? USA

Hello Susan,

I am very sorry to hear about this. You're doing the right thing -- letting her live her life as long as she has some quality left since rates of deterioration can vary.

All the best,

Dr. Getty