Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gas colic

Hi Dr Getty you have been my saviour in the past you've helped me with my other horses i hope you can help me with this one.14.3hh Welsh/Arab hacks out 3 times a week fed twice a day half a scoop of allen and page herbal quiet mix, half a scoop dengie alfalfa chaff lo,pro-biotics,linseed oil,turned out 12 hrs in 12 hrs with hay at night.Trouble is this time of year she gets herself so bloated she looks like a barrel,two weeks ago i brought her in after she ate her feed pawing the ground looking round at herself you know yourself as she prepared to get down got her out walked her for about 20 mins put her back with a little hay kept checking until she passed.Her motion is quite firm but not to much i noticed she'd not been drinking alot at night can't moniter in day as she drinks from stream.So i cut back grain just giving her alfalfa,pro-biotics and linseed oil and she seemed ok still same intake of water till last night same again she looked so bloated i think it's gas colic so i jingled her under her belly and in the morning she passed 3 to 4 same consistancy again.She is out with cows some sheep and other horses.She still eats her hay at night i'm afraid of taking this out as i learn it can cause ulcers if they don't eat for long periods so i don't really know what to do.Sorry this is so long you must be sick of me but i lost a horse last year with grass sickness and the symtoms as you know are similar to colic and i'm frightened to death of losing her please help thank you so much.

Where are you from? Derbyshire,England

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: gas colic

Hi Joanne,

It's really difficult to say if she has excess gas or is experiencing the beginnings of an impaction. Make sure that the hay she is getting is a soft grass hay. Alfalfa chaff may be too high in stems for her to safely eat right now.

The most important thing is for her to be encouraged to drink more water. Add some apple juice to her water -- this will have a slight laxative effect. And, be sure to give her some salt. You can add 15 to 30 grams of salt to her meal once each day. This, too, will encourage her to drink.

If she continues to have this problem, I would definitely call your vet since it could be building to a more serious situation.

Please keep me posted.

Dr. Getty