Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Soy Meal, Canola and Wheat Middlings

Hi Dr. Getty,

I am reviewing my feed program and want a low NSC commercial feed. Some choices use these ingredients...which would be best to choose?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you from? Calgary

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: Soy Meal, Canola and Wheat Middlings

Sorry Dr. Getty,

I should have specified Canola meal!

Thanks!

Hi Joan,

All three of these ingredients (as well as canola meal) are low in non-structural carbohydrates. So, choose a feed that contains these products, as well as things like beet pulp, alfalfa meal, flax, and rice bran. And, avoid products that contain whole grains, such as oats, corn, or barley. Grain by-products are also low in NSC.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thanks for your quick response. If I had to choose...which would be better...canola meal or soy meal?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Joan,

Soy meal is preferable because of it is a legume, and therefore, balances out the amino acid profile in the feed (making the protein quality better).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Just a general question if you don't mind. What is the difference between non-structural carbohydrates and structural carbohydrates? What do they do in the diet and in the horse? (I'm assuming one is the "bad carb" and one is the "good carb")

Happy summer!!!
-Jamie Haley

Hi Jamie,

Non-structural carbohyrates (NSC) refer to starches and sugars and for many horses, can be problematic. Horses that have chronic laminitis, are prone to cushings diseases, or who are insulin resistant, should have diets that are low in NSC.

"Structural" carbohydrates are those found in forages -- fibers. There are six different types of fiber: cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, pectin, gums, and mucilages. They do not produce an insulin response like starch and sugars do. Instead, they are fermented (digested) by the bacteria living in the hind gut into volatile fatty acids, which horses can use for energy (calories to do work).

This is probably more than you asked for in an answer, but I thought I'd cover all the bases (that's the professor in me -- can never answer a question without giving a "lecture!")

Warm regards,

Dr. Getty