Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
moving from Texas to Colorado

I understand that you have recently moved from the north Fort Worth, Texas area and are now in Colorado. I am currently northwest of Fort Worth and it looks like we will be moving to Western Colorado, somewhere aroung Silt. How will I need to handle to adjustment for my horses? I am thinking of the drastice temperature change as well as altitude and feeding. I am looking forward to the move but want to be safe about it for them. I have a 21 yr old mare that I wonder if it will be to hard for her and a 8 yr old mare that doesn't get much of a winter coat in our Texas winters. The other 2 are 1 and 2 yrs old and I think they could make the transition easier. I apologize for the many questions at one time and I appreciate your time.
Thanks, have a great day.
Dena

Where are you from? Bridgeport, Texas

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: moving from Texas to Colorado

Hi Dena,

Oh, you are going to love it here! And so will your horses. The Texas heat is very hard on them.

So far, things are going very well with my horses. I have one horse that is an Appendix and has not had much of a winter coat in Texas. So, I'll have to see how he does this winter. I prefer not to blanket him, but I may have to for this first winter on very cold days.

You didn't mention when you are moving. It's best if you can get here before it starts getting too cold. And, as long as they will have shelter from the wind and rain, they will be fine. Horses do much better in the cold than the heat.

The altitude is an adjustment for all living creatures, especially yours truly -- and I expect you'll find that after a week, they'll be adjusted.

I would suggest that you bring some hay with you so you can gradually change over to the new hay that you'll be getting here. I expect you're currently feeding bermuda coastal. They do not grow that here. So, bring a few bales with you to make the change.

From a nutritional perspective, it would do them a great deal of good if you start giving them a B Complex preparation, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement, if you're not already doing so. Actually, a few weeks before the move, I switched to a potent antioxidant supplement called PreOx, along with a BComplex called B Plex and I am still giving it to them to help them with the new environment. They made the move very calmly and are doing great!

Keep me posted on how things go!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for your quick response. I am not certain of exactly when the move will take place but if I can help it, it will not be in the middle of a Colorado winter! :-) I am already prepared for the change of hay. (I stocked up already even if we don't move.) All my horses are on Safechoice at this time. I have been contemplating a change of feed but have not been able to determine what is best. But I take it that the supplements you suggested will be okay to add the Safechoice.
Thanks, again.
Dena

I'd like to share my experience in moving my horses from the Ft. Worth area to Chicago (and back home!) a few years ago. First, I found that the temperature change isn't a problem at all. As long as they can get out of the wind and rain on cold days, they're fine. They'll grow more coat. You may need to feed more hay when it's very cold. Don't be tempted to pile on the blankets. If they're not shivering, they're not cold. You may have to pull shoes, since snow and ice will pack, but hard frozen ground will break bare feet. As a horse owner, the biggest problem will be keeping yourself warm. Buy some warm headgear that covers your ears, insulated boots, several pair of warm gloves, and maybe a snow mobile suit. The clothes that work for Ft. W. won't keep you comfortable in a cold climate.

Where are you from? Poolville Texas

Hi Dena,

Yes, the supplements I suggested will be fine with SafeChoice. You'll want to start them a few weeks before you move, so their bodies can adjust.

What city are you moving to? Keep me posted on how the horses do with your move!

Dr. Getty

Hi Pam,

Great advice!!!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty and Pam,
Thank you both very much for the helpful advice! My husband just accepted a job working in Telluride, so we are looking to buy real estate in the directions of Montrose and Dolores/Cortez. We don't know how soon we can find something and sell our home here. A LOT going on!! I will keep you posted as I am sure to have many, many more questions.
Thank you so much again. Any advice is aluways welcome! Looking forward to the trail rides in the mountains!!
Dena

Hello Dena -- you're moving close to my neck of the woods -- I'm near Durango. You will love it here, and your horses will, too!

Keep me posted if you have any further questions,

Dr. Getty