Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
willow leaves and apple cider vinegar for joints

Hi Dr.Getty,

Hope all is well with you and your horses.

The new mare I bought 20yr TB has an an old injury in her back leg, not really sure where but somewhere near her stifle we are thinking.

The problem is is that when you ask for her foot to clean it etc.. she does not want to lift it up and stretch it out, so it might be a joint problem.

Also she does not stretch it out as far as she should when you are riding her.

So my ? is I have heard that willow leaves are good for ?, I an't remember what it was.

And also I have heard that apple cider vinegar is really good for the joints and that it might help my girl out, she is an excellent jumper and just loves doing it so it would be great if I could help out her joints.

Hope you can help
All the best
Jenni

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: willow leaves and apple cider vinegar for joints

Hi Jenni!

Willow leaves and the bark contain salicin. In fact, aspirin was originally derived from willow. So, you wouldn't want to give aspirin every day, and the same holds true for the herb. Herbs contain drugs and can have side effects and interactions. So, this is an herb that is useful for short-term pain relief.

If you think the problem is joint-related, I would recommend a good joint supplement that contains MSM, glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid. Actiflex is a wonderful product, but shipping it to Canada is likely too expensive. So see if you can find something similar in your area.

About the apple cider vinegar -- well .... the evidence of its effectiveness is strictly anecdotal. It will not hurt to try it but there are no scientific studies that I am aware of that show it to be effective against joint pain.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr.Getty for explaining that, you are such an awesome source of knowledge.

I don't actually feed willow leaves, I have just heard that they were supposed to be good for horses.

I also heard that you can get 'cut' flax seed, have you heard of this before, if you have what is the difference between that and ground flax, is it any better?

One more ? sorry, my trainer says that since my TB is 20 she doesn't think that her joints will hold up to riding, but she does wonderfully, never sore after or lame.
I did find out that her hip was out and we are working on that, but I'm not sure how to tell if her joints are still ok, mabey you can explain the symptoms to me so I can watch her and then get the products you mentioned if needed.

A little update on my baby also, she is looking great , she is wonderful to ride, an amazing jumper, and overall the sweetest horse I have ever met. But my trainer is very criticle(sp?)of all horses except her own so that was why I was wondering about the willow.

Anyway Thank you so much for all your help and hope everything is still great after the move.

Jenni

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Jenni!

Cut flax seed, eh? Well, it is likely whole seeds that have been crushed or rolled, similar to the way oats are handled. The meal is still better, because it still contains the fibrous hull and allows for better digestion of the interior meal.

You know, the best way to strengthen a joint is to exercise the surrounding muscle. So, exercise is very helpful. Take it slow and pay close attention to your horse's reaction. You know your horse better than anyone, so watch for symptoms of pain. If you notice any, then consider a joint supplement and ease off on the exercise, but don't discontinue it entirely.

Thanks so much for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado