Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nutrition for 2 Year Old

Hi!
I have recently acquired a 2 year old Oldenburg/Tb filly. She is 2 as of this month. Her current exercise regime includes 24-hr turnout and about 20 min of light w/t lunging or hand walking about 3X per week. I know her previous owner had her on some vitamin supplements. Right now she is at a good weight, not ribby to the eye but you can feel her ribs with little difficulty. She is only on grass and is maintaining this weight, but I want to be making sure she is getting her nutrients. What would you recommend to supplement the grass?

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Re: Nutrition for 2 Year Old

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for writing about your filly. You're correct to be concerned about her nutrition intake since she will need more than just pasture to maintain her growth needs.

I would suggest that you offer her a couple of meals of alfalfa pellets, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement designed for growing horses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado