Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dry, itchy mane/tail

hi, i have another question re: my 14 y.o. palamino gelding. he's the "easy keeper" who has freq. urination, exc. thirst etc. he has improved somewhat on vit e and vit c supplements, but he is having a lot of itchiness to his mane and tail. His mane and tail are dry and brittle, just wondering if i could add flax? what product should i add. he is still on the safe and sound and vit. supplements. thanks.

Where are you from? tx

Re: dry, itchy mane/tail

Hi Dianne! So nice to hear from you!

Yes, flaxseed meal would be fine -- go ahead and provide one scoop (2 ounces by weight), twice each day. I recommend Nutra Flax because it does not have any grain fillers like other flaxseed meal products I've seen.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado

Hi, just an update..Pistol is no longer having problems with S/SX of Cushings. I have taken him off grain, added nutraflax and kept ration plus. We have stopped other supplements because he is doing so well. In addition, I used M-T-G for his skin issues and it worked great. Just one Question, what basic mineral/vitamin supplement should I be giving my horses who are not getting any grain? I had to cut it out of Chaser's diet too bc he is getting so fat. His metabloism is so slow, plus he's the most alpha and a fast eater. Thanks for all your advice. I can't believe how much improved Pistol is.

Hi Dianne,

That is such wonderful news! Thank you for the update. And M-T-G is a wonderful external treatment for the skin and hair.

I assume by the term "grain" you mean a commercial feed that already has vitamins and minerals added to it. For a horse that is not getting this, you would do best to feed a vitamin/mineral supplement that has a flaxseed meal base. So, instead of Nutra Flax alone, for example, consider Glanzen Complete. This has all the benefits of Nutra Flax, plus B vitamins, hoof support, and a full complement of vitamins and minerals.

Or, you can feed Nutra Flax and add Accel to the diet, to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

HI , Dr. Getty, I am trying to make the most cost effective choice for my horses. I treid to compare the accel and the Glanzen complete but the analysis is hard to compare. THe Glanzen complete is in amts. per 2, 4, and 6 oz. servings and the Accel is mg. per pound. 2 of my horses are on the chubby side ( Pistol and Chaser) , so I don't think they need as much of the flax. this is hard to describe what I'm asking but what would be the easiest and best and cost effective for my 4 different needs horses? I would describe all of them as happy and healthy now. Just want to fine tune them again. I hope my question makes sense. thanks, D

Hi Dianne,

The Accel is certainly more economical than Glanzen Complete. Glanzen, ideally, should be given in at least 4 ounce dosages. Since it is high in B vitamins, along with hoof support and is made from flaxseed meal, it is a more expensive product.

Accel is a good, comprehensive supplement that fills in the gaps for your average, healthy horse that is doing fine and has no particular health issues or demands on his system that create stress (e.g., daily exercise, showing, stalling, injury recuperation, pain, etc.).

So, sounds like Accel would be your best bet, along with 2 ounces of Nutra Flax per day.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO