Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Last year's hay?

Hi Dr. Getty,

The drought here has caused hay prices to skyrocket. I found some of last year's grass hay for sale- $2 a bale cheaper than what is being cut right now. I bought a load a month ago before any of this year's was available and it's nice hay. Baled well, green, smells pretty good, the horses like it. It's a "meadow" grass mix is all the guy told me... Finer stemmed, similar to orchard or timothy.

My question is how old is too old? I would like to buy one more small load, then buy the bulk of my hay from this year. Can I feed last year's hay in to August or September(making that hay 14-15 months old)? It is barn stored. My horses are all gestating or growing, so I try to feed the best I can. I also supplement with alfalfa pellets and they are all on either Safe Choice or Nutrena Youth plus a vitamin supplement.

Thanks in advance!

Julie

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? can't remember.. I think it was recommended on a forum

Re: Last year's hay?

My husband recently attended a forage seminar presented by some of the staff from Texas A&M University. They answered this same question. They related a story about how they tested hay that had been stored in the barn for 33 years, and they said it had hardly lost any nutrients. So, according to the guys from A&M, if it has been properly stored, and it was good when first baled, the hay is okay. Personally, I'd look for signs of rodents or other varmints and I'd check for mold on the lower sides of bales on the bottom of the stack , but I'd do that with any hay. I'd feed last year's crop that was correctly stored and clean.

Where are you from? Poolville TX

Re: Last year's hay?

Hi Julie and Pam,

Last year's hay can be fine as long as it is stored properly, as you mentioned, Pam. However, hay does start to lose vitamins, in particular, vitamins E, C, and some B vitamins, as the hay ages.

So, it's a good idea to offer a meal that provides additional vitamins and minerals to meet your horses' particular needs. Then, as long as the hay is free of dust and mold, it will be fine.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado