Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
may need a boost in immune response/healing

Hi Dr Getty~
Hope you are staying cool this summer.

I'm wondering if I should be adding something to my yealing filly's diet to help with her healing and immune response.

She might have allergies. She has bumps all over her body which I thought were reactions to bug bites. Sometimes her eyes get puffy and may tear a bit.The vet thinks the bumps are hives as she has seen many cases of them and she thinks from the onslaught of caterpillars this year.

My filly also has multiple scrapes on her pastern /fetlock area from escaping and running through our woods one day last week.

I am more concerned about the scrapes and want to get them healed quickly and I wanted to know if I should be giving her a supplement to help the process.
I also read your other posts about B1 and Vit C.

Right now she gets Accel, Nutra-flax, Blue seal Trotter feed, plain salt block and free choice timothy/alfalfa hay, and plenty of fresh water.

Thanks for all your help !

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? horse grp online

Re: may need a boost in immune response/healing

Hi MJ,

I have an excellent suggestion for you. Switch from Accel and use PreOx instead. Your goal in doing this is to add vitamin C and the B vitamins (complex, not just B1), along with other antioxidants, including grape seed extract.

I have had other cases of hives that have been successfully treated using this supplement. You'll want to feed two ounces each day.

Keep me posted!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado

Thank you Dr Getty.

Would I still feed her Nutra-Flax ? I see there is flaxseed in the Pre-Ox.

And what about the microbials that Accel has?

Thanks

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? horse grp online

Hi MJ,

That would depend on how much Nutra Flax you're currently feeding. You'll only being giving 2 ounces of PreOx, which contains approximately 1 ounce of flaxseed meal. So, you'll likely want to continue offering Nutra Flax.

About the probiotics... yes, Accel does have some live microbials, but they may or may not be necessary. The antioxidants and B vitamins are far more effective in boosting the immune function than the level of microbes in Accel. If at some point, you want to give an immunity-boosting level of microbes, I recommend Daily Start. This product also contains oligosaccharides, which further assist the immune function.

Great questions!

Dr. Getty

Hi again, MJ,

Correction! PreOx has yeast culture, which is a probiotic, so you would not need to be concerned about removing Accel from the diet.

Thought you would find this informative.

Dr. Getty