Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gassy Mule

Hello,
I have a quick question about feeding my mule. She shares a pen with 2 goats and a mini horse. I feed one flake of alfalfa in the am and one flake of alfalfa in the pm. My goats are pygmy and this seems to give everyone enough to to eat. The problem is that lately my mini mule has been showing signs of gas pains. She stretches herself out in a parked position. I take her for a walk and she feels better and then goes back to eating. I am wondering if its due to the alfalfa or if its because she throws her food on the ground. I was thinking of using small amounts of bran, psyllium, and maybe flakseed one time a day for both horses. Does this sound ok. I trust your opinions. My mini horse lost 150 lbs on your suggestion about using beet pulp. I had bought her when she was 27 in and 400 lbs. She is now looking great. Very healthy and has lots of energy.Thank you in advance for your help.

Where are you from? usa

How did you locate this forum? previous use

Re: Gassy Mule

Hi Kristy,

Thanks so much for the update about your horse! That is excellent news!

About your mule, the problem could be twofold. First, the bacteria living in her hind gut may not be adequately digesting the alfalfa, resulting in a large amount of gas formation. To solve this problem, the best bet would be to give her a teaspoon of Ration Plus each day. This will make her fiber digestion more efficient.

And, second, if she is consuming a fair amount of dirt off the ground, a moderate dose of psyllium is appropriate for a few days each month. Sand colic can creep up very slowly, so rather than bran, go with something like Sand Relief for a week out of each month.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add that mules shouldn't be fed alfalfa, they just don't do well on it. I'm not a nutritionist, just a mule owner who is trying to learn as much as I can about mules and their diets!

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? Found it on Dr. Getty's website

Hi Jennifer,

I agree -- donkeys and mules should not normally be fed alfalfa except in cases of protein deficiency and/or neglected animals, and in very moderate amounts.

Dr. Getty

Jennifer
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add that mules shouldn't be fed alfalfa, they just don't do well on it. I'm not a nutritionist, just a mule owner who is trying to learn as much as I can about mules and their diets!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO