Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Piper grass???

Howdy Dr. Getty!

Thank you for the peace this forum gives so many of us horse lovers!

My current regime is this...

AM: 1 cup hulless organic oats
1/4 cup BOSS
1.5 oz. Dynamite Plus
Sm. Flake of Alfalfa
Flake of Bermuda

PM: same as above for supplements but hay is all timothy.

I was contacted by a local grower, he said he will have a load of piper grass available soon. (He knows I'm a grass hay feeder, unlike most of my area since we are known for growing alfalfa)The price on the piper is CHEAP but I know nothing about it and haven't been able to find out much.

Any thoughts??? Of course mo money savings is worth doing a diservice or worst to my animals.

Thank you again...

~~Brigid
"When I see a person call a horse or a mule dumb, it is a sure sign that, that animal has outfoxed em' "

Where are you from? Palmdale, CA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: Piper grass???

Hi Brigid,

Thank you for your kind words!

You know, I haven't heard a lot about "piper grass" except that it is sometimes called "sudan grass." I may be mistaken, but if this is the case, it is a grain hay, which is fine in small amounts, but not as a replacement for grass hay. This is because your horse would be consuming too much starch to be healthful.

From your feeding description, I'm assuming that in between meals, your horse has access to pasture most of the time, since the amount of forage you mentioned is not adequate to sustain a horse.

So, I'm sorry I couldn't be more definitive in my response. Your best bet would be to take a look at the hay and see if there are kernels of grain. If so, stick with the bermuda.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado

Umm, I am a little confused by the statemant that they are not on enough forage. They are not on pasture. We are in the desert so I guess you can call the two acres they are in a dry lot.

After the morning meal, which takes about 3 hrs. to consume.(I feed them in many low feeders, small amounts of hay all around the property.) I throw timothy again for dinner, this consists of about 2 large flakes for each horse. The horses, 30,7,4 & 1 are all of excellent weight (well, the ole guy is pudgy) and have never had any health issues. Can they not be getting enough forage but still be looking and seemingly feeling healthy? I have been feeding this way for 3yrs. The yearling was born and raised in my yard so I am curious.
I also have started to trim my own horses feet and REALLY have become aware of how "what goes in, shows up everywhere!" It is amazing what shows up in the hoof! Knowledge everyone should have, just amazing.

Regarding the piper grass, it sounds like something I'll stay away from. I had not heard it was a grain hay. And yes, it is know as Sudan Piper Grass.

~~Brigid
"Want to make a million in the horse business?? Start out with five!" ~~ my hubby

Hi Brigid,

From your description, it sounds like you're only giving them one small flake of alfalfa and one flake of bermuda (am) or timothy (pm). Of course, a "flake" can vary in weight so that's the real thing to pay attention to.

For example, a typical 1000 lb horse should have around 20 lbs of forage each day. And, the goal is to allow them to "trickle feed" by "grazing" throughout the day so that they do not go for hours without anything to eat. If you find that they are running out of hay and wait hours before more is provided, you are increasing their risk of developing an ulcer. This is because, unlike us, horses produce stomach acid all of the time, even if their stomachs are empty. Therefore, they are designed to have hay available (or pasture) most of the time and 24/7, even better.

Your spreading out the timothy in the evening is an excellent plan. So, I just suggest that you take a closer look at the overall amount.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado

Hi Brigid!

I was curious, I live in Pinon Hills and am wondering where do you get your BOSS at? Feed store or grocery store?

Where are you from? california