Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
couple questions about bioflax20 and salt

Hi Dr. Getty-
I hope you are settling into your new home nicely and enjoying the summer there. My question in regard to the bioflax20 that is sold on your site is this. I have one horse I would feed this to and I like to buy in bulk to save money but with the bioflax20 I'm not sure what the maximum amount I should keep on hand is without it going bad or just loosing potency. I would like to buy the 192 servings or better the 320 servings bag. Is it ok to keep the same bioflax20 bag out in my feed barn for almost a year? Also in regards to salt, I like to add salt to my horse's beet pulp on a daily basis and the store carries iodized salt and plain salt. Is one better than the other for horses? I feed 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 tablespoon in the evening.

Thank you so much Dr. Getty!

Where are you from? california

Re: couple questions about bioflax20 and salt

Hi Angel,

Yes, thank you -- I am enjoying Colorado and the cool weather is so wonderful!

About the BioFlax20... This is made with flaxseed meal, which is stabilized to some degree, but I still would not recommend leaving it in a barn if the temps get very hot. The vitamin E, along with the omega 3 fatty acids, are more prone to oxidation under hot conditions. So, the best thing to do is to keep, say, a month's worth in the barn and the remainder in an air conditioned environment during the summer (depending on how hot it gets where you live, of course).

Your question about iodized vs plain salt is quite valid. If you are already providing a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement or a complete commercial ration, your horse is likely already receiving enough iodine. So, go with the plain salt. If your horse is not getting iodine from another source, then I'd recommend the iodized version.

Thanks so much for asking!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado