Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dull coat

Hi Dr. Getty,
I wrote to you a while back about my new horse and trying to get him to eat rice bran to gain weight. He is an 8 year-old paint gelding who had been neglected and was very skinny and had a dull, dry coat. Over the summer he has gained weight nicely and is looking better and better. But he still has the dull coat and he never really slicked off like the other horses. He has been wormed three times over the last 8 months and his teeth are in excellent shape. I recently moved him to a better facility where he is fed two flakes of alfalfa/grass hay in the morning and is turned out on pasture (mostly brome) during the day and coming in at night to two more flakes and a cup of COB (the grain is more of a reward for coming in off the pasture). A dull coat is a sign of things not right inside right? What would you recommend? On his current diet I don't want to over do it. Should I just treat the coat problem or would it be better to add a vitamen/mineral supplement and treat all of him?

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: Dull coat

Hi Lori,

Sounds like you've already made great strides with him -- congratulations!

I would suggest two things. First, treat him with a five day, double dose of fenbendazole (Panacur Power-Pac) to get rid of encysted larvae. This will get rid of the worms that the other wormers cannot touch. You have to administer the paste five days in a row.

The second suggestion is Glanzen. This is a flaxseed meal based feed/supplement that will bring out the best in him. It is high in B vitamins, Vitamin E, and omega 3 fatty acids. (Don't get the Glanzen-SE, since Wyoming has plenty of Selenium in its soil.)

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado