Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
nutrition

I'm trying very hard to keep from loosing my mind !! I would like your advice on feeding a 7 YO paint mare. She is heavily muscled, built like a brick you know what!! She is on Buckeye Show Formula, their maintenance amount. I do show her in Halter, and ride her bout 3 times a week for an hour or until she understands her lesson. She is kinda moody, but not really bad for a mare. She resents loping, and does it very choppy, while her jog is awesome. I've tried the Quiessence, and it got rid of the fat pads behind her shoulder and the smallish crest on her neck. Her hay is alfalfa, with a little grass. Now, her front feet seem to be tender when first coming out of her stall. She has to walk across very large rocks to get to her turnout daily, and I thought maybe a stone bruise, but no heat, no reaction to hoof testers. I'm sort of at a loss. I want to do whats best for her. Please advise. Thanks, Peggie

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? by good fortune

Re: nutrition

Hi Peggie,

Thanks so much for writing about your mare. We must get her fixed 'cause if you're like me, you have precious little mind to lose!

But in all seriousness, her tender feet could be something as simple as a bruise. Or it could be an abscess that is starting to develop, perhaps from a previous injury. Or, since she has had some fat deposits in the past, she may be insulin resistant. This can make her more prone toward developing laminitis and the symptoms can come on very slowly in some horses. So, your best bet would be to feed her a low starch feed, and avoid anything sweetened or that contains cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, wheat, etc.) The Buckeye feed that you are using is likely a grain-based, sweet feed. I would suggest something such as Purina Ultium or Triple Crown Low Starch. She may also benefit from a maintenance dosage of Quiessence.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Colorado