Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weanling Nutrition

Thank you for your response. One more semi related question:

Since I will be feeding my weanling beat pulp, I have been considering switching my four year old barrel horse from the Ultium to beat pulp. He is currently getting 4 lbs/day of the Ultium (free choice Gro Strong Minerals & salt) on days when he is worked and he stays plenty fat on that. I was told by Purina that that is the least amount of the Ultium I can feed and still be assured he is getting all the nutrients he needs. If I switch him to the beet pulp, what supplements do you recommend feeding with it for a four year old quarter horse that is worked almost every day and competing on the weekends and is a pretty easy keeper. He is on coastal pasture/hay. Should I put him on alfalfa too and how much per day? I want him to have a nice coat, plenty of energy and plenty of antioxidants in a ration that is easily assimilated. Thanks.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

OK...one MORE question:

What vit/min supplement would you recommend for the weanling and four year old if I am limited on the amount of alfalfa I can get? Or is alfalfa pretty critical for the weanlings diet? Thanks again!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Hi Lisa,

If you want to switch to a beet pulp based diet, I would recommend adding a complete flaxseed meal-based supplement that will provide omega 3 fatty acids along with important antioxidants and minerals. The one that I recommend is Glanzen. It will round out his forage diet to help meet his performance needs.

If alfalfa hay is hard to come by, consider adding alfalfa pellets to the beet pulp meal. It's difficult to give you an exact amount to add without taking a closer look at his overall situation (and you may wish to arrange for a phone visit at some point to do this). But, in the meantime, you can very safely add 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of alfalfa pellets to a meal. Keep in mind that the overall weight (dry weight) of the meal should not exceed 3 to 3 1/2 pounds.

If you use the Glanzen, you would discontinue using the mineral supplement since there would be too much overlap.

For your youngster, alfalfa is very important, but pellets can also be used instead. But, I would go with the Mare/Foal IIP and the flaxseed meal, to make sure that he is getting all the nutrients he needs for growth.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado