Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
sore feet, how much food?

Hi, my sisters welsh mountain pony is currently suffering with what appears to be stiff legs and sore feet. the farrier confirmed he had suffered with laminitis in the past although he wasnt now. we feel he is slightly overweight but are not in agreement as to how much he should be allowed to eat by day. we have a rough field which is not lush by any means but he can only go on it if the weather is good. other than that he is in a medium sized courtyard in which he has access to his stable. he is not riden often and probably exercised on a weekend only.
how much are we supposed to give him as a daily recommendation? he is a 13hh welsh cob.
many thanks
michelle bowen

Where are you from? north wales

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: sore feet, how much food?

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for writing. Actually, the key to handling laminitis is not so much the amount of feed to offer, but rather, the type of feed.

You'll want to eliminate all cereal grains from her diet. So, this means no sweet feeds, feeds made from oats, barley, corn, wheat, etc.

You ought to also have your hay tested for the level of non-structural carbohydrates (NSC). Ideally, it should be below 13%.

Finally, you may wish to consider adding Quiessence to her diet. This is a magnesium/chromium supplement along with B vitamins that reduces the level of circulating insulin in her bloodstream. This will help her lose weight safely, thereby reducing her risk of laminitis.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on her progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado