Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
severe arthritis of the hock

Hi Dr Getty you have worked wonders for me in the past i hope you can help me this time.My ISH mare who is 7 has just been diagnosed with severe arthritis of the hock,you helped me with her feed as she was wired to the moon about 2 yrs ago and now she's perfect with her behavior she will never be quiet but now she's safe.I feed her allen and page herbal quiet mix,alfalfa,pro biotic,pre biotic,yeast,linseed oil mixed with water which she thrives on well.The vet has given me bute and told me to treat it with that as the x rays showed it is quite severe sayin she's young.Is there anything i can be doing or giving her that can help her,thanks so much Dr.Getty your a God send.This mare is my life i want to help her in anyway i can thanks again joanne

Where are you from? derbyshire,england

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: severe arthritis of the hock

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is wonderful to hear how well she is doing regarding her behavior.

Her arthritis at such a young age concerns me. Bute is fine for very short term usage, but cannot be used regularly without risking an ulcer. So, I would approach this problem from a few different angles.

First, regarding pain, give her an herbal pain killer. I'm going to list a few products below that I offer on my website for your reference, so you can take a look at what I have in mind. And, hopefully you can find something similar in the UK since shipping would be very high from here.

Next, she needs extra Vitamins C and E. Vitamin C will help her produce extra collagen, the protein component of joint tissue. And, Vitamin E will reduce inflammation due to its antioxidant properties.

And, finally, you'll want to give her a good joint supplement that contains glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and Hyaluronic Acid.

So, see what you can find. If you'd like for me to look at a particular product, let me know and I'll be happy to evaluate it for you.

Here is the list I mentioned so you can see the type of products I have in mind:

Herbal pain relief: Stop the Pain
Vitamin E: E5000
Vitamin C: Pure C
Joints: Actiflex Powder or Liquid

Please keep me posted.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Hi Dr Getty thanks for your reply i've found this aloe vera product called forever freedom the person said i should put her on an high dose of 120 ml for first month then break it down it's a liquid but i don't know whether it's a pain killer could you have a look for me,she hates the taste it does taste awful cos i tried a bit just to see so i'm gonna mix a little natural honey in it is that ok.Also could you work out shipping costs from your website i really don't want her on this bute for good, thanks again Dr Getty i'm worring everyday you make it ok joanne and beauty

Where are you from? derbyshire,england

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Hi Joanne,

Could you send me the website for this aloe product? I'll be happy to look at it for you.

Aloe is a very nutritious food, high in antioxidants, so it certainly would not hurt to feed this to your horse.

I will contact you directly regarding shipping of products.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Hi Dr getty you emailed me a while ago about the shipping for the products for beauty, my computer went down just got back on line and everything was lost, could you email me again please as i want to get her off the bute asap, she hates it now i have to push it down her throat, she's on one sachet per day.I thought if i could alternate bute with your product to start with and ween her off it, because i left her 2 days without it she went lame straight away.Thanks for you help

Hi Joanne,

I sent you an email with a few questions. Yes, it is important to wean him off of bute in order to avoid an ulcer. In the meantime, please add 30 ml of corn oil to each of his meals to help protect against an ulcer.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO