Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nutrition for the older horse

I have a 20 year old Quarter Horse gelding that is very good health. Lately I have noticed him being very tired with little exertion. He isn't usually a colicy horse, but he has also shown signs of colic several times this year. He gets a 50/50 mixture of a senior feed and crimped oats and until recently he was getting B-Plex daily. I'm not certain that B-Plex is the most complete supplement for him at his age. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Coleen

Where are you from? Michigan

Re: Nutrition for the older horse

Hi Coleen,

I agree with you that he could use something more complete. And, I would also suggest replacing the oats with something lower in starch, unless you are exercising him on a regular basis and he needs the extra calories. Try using moistened beet pulp or even alfalfa pellets (if he's not getting alfalfa hay).

His fatigue may be metabolic in nature and he could possibly be developing some insulin resistance or having trouble adequately storing glycogen in his muscles. Either one of these conditions would also call for a lower starch diet.

As far as a supplement is concerned, the B vitamins are necessary for deriving energy from his feed. So, I would suggest continuing with them. But, instead of simply giving him B Plex, try something more complete. I would recommend Glanzen, since it contains B Plex, along with additional nutrients, and omega 3 fatty acids (from flaxseed meal). This would definitely fill in the gaps in his diet.

And finally, he may be low in magnesium (many horses do not get enough of this important mineral). Take a look at Quiessence, to be fed in addition to Glanzen. Quiessence will help him maintain a healthy nervous system. A small dose of one ounce per day should make a difference.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Thanks for the advice Dr Getty!

Would you recommend the Glanzen with or without Selenium?...I live in Michigan, which is a state low in natural Selenium.

Thanks!!!

Coleen & "Tee"

Hi Coleen and "Tee!"

If you are not providing selenium from another source such as a complete ration or supplement that contains this mineral, I would recommend Glanzen-SE. Selenium is very important as antioxidant support to vitamin E, and should be included in the diet. It is toxic in relatively small amounts, so it is important to take a look at the overall diet before adding more.

But, if Glanzen is going to be your only supplement to a forage-based diet, you'll do best to get the version that has selenium added.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr Getty!!!

Its very comforting to me to have this forum and your advice for my horses. I'm really excited about following your recommendations and helping "Tee" feel his best!

Thanks again - you're a GODSEND!!

Have a great day!!

Coleen, "Tee" & "Harley" (aka "Porkchop")

Hi Coleen,

I'm delighted to help!!

Dr. Getty

Just wanted to update...

I received the supplements I ordered within 3 days! I dropped a little of the Glanzen-SE just for him to get a taste - he couldn't get enough! Within a day or two I could see his eyes brighter and that little "spark" return. It's really great to have him back again! I thank you for your help...and so does "Tee"!

Coleen, "Tee" & "Harley"

Hi Coleen,

It's amazing what a little good nutrition will do. Thanks so much for letting me know how well he's doing. I'm so glad to hear the good news!

Dr. Getty