Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OLder Horse with COPD

HI

I have a 26yo horse with COPD and an inflamed thyroide - he has stiffened up through the summer. He is fed garlic, a pasture mix and out 24hrs grass. What should i be feeding him through the winter to maintain him. He gets ab lib haylage while stabled.

Where are you from? UK

How did you locate this forum? Google and used before

Re: OLder Horse with COPD

Hi Alex,

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) resembles asthma in humans and needs to be addressed similarly.

And, his thyroid situation also requires medical attention. So, your first approach, in my opinion, would be to get his health disorders under control as best you can.

I am not in favor of feeding garlic to horses since too much can lead to anemia.

I would suggest giving him a good antioxidant supplement that also contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals, in order to fill in any gaps in his diet.

I would also recommend giving him a linseed meal product to boost his fat intake, along with omega 3 fatty acids, to ease inflammation.

Alfalfa is also very helpful in helping him hold his weight.

These are a few suggestions. Thank you for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado