Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
cut back feed to maintenance

Hi Dr. Getty!

Hope your weekend was enjoyable.

I have another question for you and would like your opinion. The 16 hand 8 year old horse I bought last spring has finally gained much needed weight. He was very ribby/thin when I got him and was told that he has always been a hard keeper. He has put on apprx 200 lbs, weighs now apprx 1200 lbs and looks wonderful. Some people think he is now starting to look a bit chubby. I've been feeding him free choice bermuda grass, 4 lbs bermuda/alfalfa pellets total per/day, 2 lbs beet pulp total per/day, 1-3/4 lbs rice bran total per/day, accel and now plain salt instead of iodized. He is an excellent drinker. He is kept in a dry 24x36 corral and is ridden 3 times a week for at least an hour at a time. I'm afraid if I keep feeding him this he will start getting fat but not sure what to do since winter will be here in a couple months. He is the only horse on the property and doesn't have any farm friends yet so I like to give him enough bermuda so he has something to eat most of the day and won't get bored. To me the obvious thing to cut back on or eliminate is the rice bran. So far I've cut that back to about 12 oz total a day. Or should I eliminate it? Do you think I should cut back on both pellets and beet pulp or leave that? And lastly, should I put somewhat of a limit on the bermuda grass? He does have a bit of a hay belly. I don't think he needs to loose any weight but I don't want him gaining any more either. Unfortunately I don't have the time to exercise him more than what I'm currently doing.

Thank you for your opinions. The time you put into this website is very much appreciated. My horse also passes on his thanks!!!

Where are you from? california

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: cut back feed to maintenance

Dr. Getty-

I forgot to mention above that the rice bran has the added calcium to it.

Thanks again!

Where are you from? california

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: cut back feed to maintenance

Hi Angel,

I agree with you about cutting back on the rice bran since that is your highest fat source, and hence, the highest in calories.

I would not cut back on his hay. He should have access to hay 24/7 to keep his digestive system in good health. A "hay belly" is not fat. It's gas production from bacterial fermentation and is very normal, and actually a good sign.

So, keep up with the diet you have -- you're doing fine. And, adjust the stabilized rice bran as needed to keep his weight up.

Thanks so much for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado