Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alfalfa Pellets, BOSS, Flax vs. Low Starch/High Fat Triple Crown

I had been feeding a low starch / high fat commercial feed prepared by ADM. However the dealer I was buying from has gone out of business and I would have to drive 4 hours round trip. Not something I can do at this time. My horses (weight is estimated)--

26 y/o Arab mare (950#)
17 y/o Iberian gelding (1400#)
20 y/o TB (1250#)
14 y/o Anglo-Trakehner (1400#)
10 y/o Arab X (1050#)

are all easy, easy, easy keepers, and all are worked / exercised to some extent. Two are show horses (the TB & Iberian). I feed very little concentrates -- approximately 1/2# twice a day. It was suggested to me to consider switching to alfalfa pellets, BOSS, and flax instead of the Triple Crown. I would like to know the benefits of either choice, and which would be best for my horses. They are all in excellent health. I do offer a free choice vitamin / mineral supplement made by ADM as well as a plain salt block. Two of my horses (the Arab mare and Iberian) have allergies to biting flies and are on Dex. The Arab X seems to have an exaggerated immune response to bug bites and he, too, is on Dex. I would like to get all my horses off steriods. My horses are on pasture 24/7 as weather permits, and get grass hay (either Timothy or coastal) when stalled.

Where are you from? Williamston, NC

How did you locate this forum? from another discussion board

Re: Alfalfa Pellets, BOSS, Flax vs. Low Starch/High Fat Triple Crown

Hi Susan,

I had problems with my 15 yr old TB and I came up with this reciepe with Dr.Getty's help, I to could not get a hold of the kinds of feed that I wanted so I had to make my own.

Boss
Beet pulp
Ground flax
Alfalfa pellets
Canola oil
As much hay as he could eat
An apple or two for flavor

It took a while but with the summer grass and the above food he really looks good now.

I really hope this helps you, I know it really helped me.LOL

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Alfalfa Pellets, BOSS, Flax vs. Low Starch/High Fat Triple Crown

Hi Susan,

Feeding flax and alfalfa, in my opinion, would be more beneficial than just a small amount of a commercial feed. Flax has omega 3 fatty acids that are worthwhile for many reasons, including combating inflammation and arthritis. I would stay away from BOSS for your older horse because sunflower seeds contain very high levels of omega 6 fatty acids, which can induce inflammation.

Jenni's diet is excellent and worth trying. But, keep in mind that you have several horses, each with specific needs along with immune system issues.

So, a foundation of alfalfa and flax along with appropriate supplements for each horse, would be the best approach. I would be happy to visit with you about each of your horses if at some point you would like to arrange for this.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado