Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
vitamins

Dr. Getty-

I have acquired a 2 yr old QH filly ( Cricket ) along with my 7 yr old filly (Ricochet) that I use for barrel racing. I am feeding Grass/Alfalfa mix hay and have tried to simplify my feeding so I am now feeding Nutrena Life Prime Compete 10. Along with this I add a couple handfuls of alfalfa meal to get the Nutra Flax to stick. My question is should I continue with a multi vitamin (Accel)? My 7 yr old I also feed Grand Flex for her joints. I just want to make sure that with these changes, I'm not leaving anything out or overdoing it. They both look amazing but their job can be demanding so I want to make sure i'm covering all my bases. Cricket is ridden 2-3 times a week for about 30 min but Ricochet is ridden at least an hour 2-3 times a week and competes 2-3 weekends a month.
Thank you very much for your time, it is greatly appreciated.
De Ann

Where are you from? Santa Rosa, CA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: vitamins

Hi De Ann,

This is an excellent question that you've raised. But the answer is not at all simple. It really depends on how much of the complete ration you're feeding. I did not see this product listed on the Nutrena website, but if you are feeding according to directions, you may not need to continue with Accel.

I say "may not" because there are other considerations, especially for your 2 year old. She has higher mineral needs and essential amino acid needs. And, if this feed is grain-based, it is not a good idea to give her too much, since high starch diets are connected to osteopathic disorders in youngsters.

So, the best way to give you a clear answer is to evaluate the entire diet to make certain that it is balanced and there are no overlaps by adding Accel.

I encounter this situation frequently when clients feed complete rations and the question becomes, "how much and what type of supplements should be included?" And, I can help you figure this out by calculating the ingredient and added vitamins/minerals levels. So, if you would like for me to help you with this, please let me know.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado