Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding for energy

Hi Dr.Getty,

It's been quite a while since I have needed your advice.
Hope all is well in your new place.

My question is, my sister in-law has a TB gelding that she shows quite regularly and riddes 3-4x a week for 1/hour and jumped very often, the only thing that he is fed is hay, no salt, no grain, no vits/mins.

Latey he has been tripping over his feet and falling when she is ridding him, she thinks that he is just board and that is why he is tripping.

I think that his problem is feed related, I don't think that he has the energy he keep up to the amount of work that he is doing, he has also developed a goiter (sp?) and she has been giving him iodized salt for it and she said that it seems to be helping it.

She also has a arab/cob gelding that my daughter rides and she rides the same amount also and does jumping and a lot of showing, when she first started ridding him he would do a lot of tail swishing and trowing his head up when asked to do something and just plain unhappy about working.

My daughter has had to use spurs on him to get him to go forward at a decent speed, so my sister in-law started giving him grain (I think COB) and he is much happier and more willing to move forward and seems to enjoy being ridden.

I think that he also was having an energy problem and now with being fed grain he has the energy to do the work.

Do you think I'm correct in my findings,LOL

Thank you so much.

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Feeding for energy

Hi Jenni,

I agree with you that these horses have nutritional needs that are not being met. And, therefore, I would suggest working on improving their diets. Extra grain is fine when a horse is very active, but limit it to no more than 2 lbs per day.

A complete ration that is high in fiber and fat is a better way to go, along with the appropriate supplemention for joints and hooves.

If a horse is acting up, throwing his head, and will not move without using spurs, there is an underlying problem. It could be medical, nutritional, or both. And if the horse is actually bored, then that needs to be attended to as well, because that causes an increased risk of ulcers.

Iodized salt is helpful in preventing goiter but if this horse has actually been diagnosed with this thyroid gland disorder, I would recommend medical attention.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Thanks so much for your wonderful advice Dr.Getty,
I was thinking the same thing, they definatly need more calories.

The gelding my daughter rides, I think the problem was that he just didn't have the energy to keep up to the work load. He is doing wonderful now.

I will let my sister in-law know about boredome and ulcers.

He hasn't been officialy diagnosed with a thyroid problem, she just noticed he has moveable lump under his throat latch area and her coach said if it was moveable then it was a goiter, so she looked on the internet and it said to feed iodized salt to get rid of it.
Does she need to get the vet to do tests on it or will it go away on it's own?
I know nothing about goiters except that my husband had one on his wrist and he had to get it removed, is it the same for horses?

Thanks again.
Jenni

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Jenni,

A lump that moves is generally a lipoma -- a fatty cyst that is generally not harmful. And, this may be what your husband has. But, to diagnose goiter in a horse requires blood work. Horses do need iodine and depending on what is being fed, he may already be getting enough. And goiter that is due to an iodine deficiency is really quite rare. Instead, it is often due to a hormonal imbalance (in particular, thyroid stimulating hormone). Or it can be an indication of a more serious problem.

So, I would not ignore this lump -- have it analyzed by your vet. His apparent "laziness" may be biomedical due to possible hypothyroidism. Don't second guess.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado