Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SB 3YO CAN'T PUT ON CONDITION...HELP

STANDARDBRED 3YO IS NOT PUTTING ON CONDITION WELL
HEALTHY, EATS, BUT GOING NO WHERE?
TEETH DONE, WORM PROGRAMME, LOVES HIS FOOD BUT ZERO

Where are you from? WELLINGTON NEW ZEALAND

How did you locate this forum? SEARCH

Re: SB 3YO CAN'T PUT ON CONDITION...HELP

Hi TA,

The first place I would look is the health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut. You can feed the best diet but if these bacteria are not adequate in number, your horse will not get the benefit from his forage and therefore, will not gain weight.

The product I generally recommend is Ration Plus because this is a prebiotic that feeds all of the bacteria. A probiotic only provides a few specialized bacteria, which is not the best choice. I can ship Ration Plus to New Zealand, but if you can find something similar or a really potent probiotic in your area, that would be the most economical for you.

The next thing I would look at is the level of calories in his diet. He should have access to hay and or good pasture at all times. If this is currently the case, then you can take a look at his meals and provide a high fat feed.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Hi

One way of feeding a high fat diet ( without breaking the bank ) is to put goats milk in the feed. Goats milk has highly digestable fats & is hypoallergenic & you can freeze it so you can buy several pints at a time. Gave this to my mare when she was feeding a foal & her condition was really bad ( she was a bag of bones ) & within a month of adding 1/2 pint of milk to her feed twice a day (she was still feeding the foal) she actually had some meat on her bones.
Amanda

Where are you from? Devon England

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Hi Amanda,

The goat's milk certainly added fat and additional calcium, which your mare certainly needed. However, horses are lactose intolerant and giving them milk can lead to excessive gas, diarrhea, and even colic. So, a better choice to get a lactating mare into condition would be the addition of flaxseed meal (for omega 3 fatty acids) and alfalfa (for calcium).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado