Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Switching barns and feeds

I am moving my horse temporarily from Maine to MA for approx. 4 months while I am working down there. He is a 4 yo, Percheron/TB cross- 17+ H already with moderate work schedule. Currently he is on Poulin EP m/n/n approx 2 small coffee cans each feeding, corn oil and a scoop of haystretcher at night with the EP. Hay 2x day.SOme turn out/grass. He seems to be doing well- growing, filling out and not too "hot" but spunky.
THe barn I am going to feeds straight corn in morning, trotter at noon and straight oats at night. Hay 3x day- no grass turnout. I am a bit leary of this and would like your opinion. Should I start to switch him over to trotter plus something more for fat and protien, go with the new schedule or take his EP with me.....or is there a better feeding regime you can suggest I get him on before I get there- keeping in mind using a blue seal product or what is likely available at the new barn and/or for future reference?
Thanks for your consult.

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: Switching barns and feeds

Hi Laurie,

If you have the freedom to feed him as usual, it would be in his best interest to stay with the same diet. Changing for only a few months is not the best plan. Plus, I do not recommend feeding corn. Corn is very poorly digested and therefore, ends up in the hind gut, where it can be fermented by the bacteria that live there. The result is a high risk of laminitis. Why horse owners continue to feed corn, when there is so much research showing how potentially harmful it is, is beyond me. However, old habits die hard.

So, stick with what you're feeding -- take enough with you for 4 months if necessary.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Re: Switching barns and feeds

Thank you Dr Getty.
I guess it is the old saying- if it anin't broke don't fix it!
Laurie